Montana by Gwen Florio

Montana

by Gwen Florio

7220245,423 (3.52)10

Found as 2014 Shamus Award Finalist.Series of 3. BOOK is in Merlin. ( )
  rwt42 | Sep 24, 2016 |
This book introduces Lola Wicks a foreign correspondent who visits Montana after being pulled out of Afghanistan. She finds murder and conspiracy at the border of the Blackfeet Nation and tenaciously uncovers the facts. Well written thriller that sometimes goes over the top, but the native people are treated sensitively. Grim and bloody at times. First of a series, second is Dakota (another triller with many of the same characters). ( )
  cartoslibrary | May 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'd forgotten all about this book, Until I saw it in my To Be Read Pile, shuffled to the bottom, somehow. I will get on this and another for a real review very soon! ( )
  liisa22 | Apr 20, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
...............I love road trip books, this book somehow feels like a road trip although in this case it's sort of an air trip that takes journalist Lola Wicks from Afghanistan to Montana for a much needed vacation and meet up with good friend, Mary Alice. Upon landing in Montana Lola senses that all is not right and a gruesome discovery at Mary Alice's cabin in Magpie confirms it.
Overall I enjoyed this read and meeting the many Twins Peakish residents of Magpie. The Native American lifestyle and folklore offer an interesting perspective as well. The plot, although a thinly veiled whodunit, is satisfying in that the reader feels as if she's plopped down in the scenic venue of this story and experience what it could be like to live in this area of the US. A bit of romance round out the story nicely ( )
  Carmenere | Jun 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The independent, almost rude personality of the main character, Lola, took some getting used to; at least for me. But then she changed (or I did) and she showed other sides to her character and adapted well to her new surroundings in Montana often with charming humor.
Sometimes a really good read doesn't have to have 'edge of your seat' suspense or 'buy stock in kleenex' emotion. Montana has a nice balance of predictable/what's next in the story. I like the true to life characters. I like the way a story was told without excessive sex and violence. I love it when animals are included in a tale and I can't recall a cuss word between the covers! There's a talent in writing a story worth reading, weaving lives and events and making them real - without cussing! I am fortunate to have this in my library. ( )
  totsgram | Apr 3, 2014 |

"Foreign correspondent Lola Wicks is pissed. Downsized from her Kabul posting, her editor reassigns her to a stateside suburban beat formerly the province of interns. Arriving in Montana for some R&R at a friend's cabin, her friend is nowhere in sight. Anger turns to terror when Lola discovers her friend shot dead. She can't get out of Montana fast enough, but finds that she can't as she's held as a potential witness, thwarting her plan to return to Afghanistan on her own and have her editors change their minds. Her best hope lies in solving the case herself. But this surefooted journalist who deftly negotiated Afghanistan's deadly terrain finds herself frighteningly off-balance in this forgotten corner of her own country, plagued by tensions between the locals and citizens of the nearby Blackfeet Nation. Lola's lone-wolf style doesn't work in a place where the harsh landscape and extreme isolation compel people to rely upon each other in ways she finds unsettling. In her awkward attempts at connection, she forms a reluctant alliance with a local reporter, succumbs to the romantic attentions of a wealthy rancher, and fences warily with the state's first Indian candidate for governor, the subject of her friend's final stories. Ultimately she comes to truly care about the people she meets in Montana, only to miss the warning signals that her own life is in danger. While unraveling her friend's terrible fate, Lola joins many Americans in learning the hard lessons of a fraught economy - that circumstances change in a flash, that formerly overlooked places and people can hold deep value, and that human bonds matter more than fleeting career success" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gwen Florio's book Montana was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Gwen Florio is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,109,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible