The Boy's Tale by Margaret Frazer
Who would ever want to harm two young boys aged five and six? When the boys are half brothers to Henry VI, King of England, the list is long and distinguished. A lady in their mother's household flees with the boys to St Frideswide's and asks Dame Frevisse to offer them a haven. Unable to refuse children, she takes them in and conceals them. But as attempts are made on the boys' lives inside St Frideswide's walls, Dame Frevisse realizes that from the ambitious and the wicked there is no sanctuary.… (more)

Politics intrude on the peaceful world of St. Frideswide, as two very young princes are hidden away in the convent. Sister Frevisse must try to protect them from the menace that threatens them even in the convent. Brilliantly realized setting. ( )
  annbury | Sep 9, 2010 |
The cloister of St. Frideswide has never been less quiet. Two boys, and those protecting them have sought sanctuary, though from what they won't say. Dead bodies are strewn behind them, so the need is real. In addition to this turmoil in the staid lives of the nuns, their prioress is on her deathbed and all are grieving for the loss that will soon be theirs.

This is my favorite book by this author so far. I love the way she depicts the children in it and the nun's reactions to them. The mystery stumped me and I'm still trying to figure out if she played fair or not, but I'm afraid she did. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 9, 2009 |
The warm summer's afternoon was worn well away.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,919,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible