Winner Bakes All: The Cupcake Club (The…

Winner Bakes All: The Cupcake Club (The Cupcake Club, 3) (edition 2013)

by Sheryl Berk (Author)

Series: The Cupcake Club (3)

Fifth-grader Sadie and her friends in the cupcake club face their toughest challenge yet when they compete in the televised Battle of the Bakers.
Member:StephanyLo
Title:Winner Bakes All: The Cupcake Club (The Cupcake Club, 3)
Authors:Sheryl Berk (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Young Readers (2013), Edition: 2.5.2013, 160 pages

Work Information

Winner Bakes All: The Cupcake Club by Sheryl Berk

WINNER BAKES ALL by Sheryl and Carrie Berk is the third book in the very fun middle grade series The Cupcake Club. The series follows four friends (Kylie, Sadie, Jenna and Lexi) who start a Cupcake Club in fourth grade, that slowly turns into a business. While book one was from club founder Kylie’s point of view, WINNER BAKES ALL is narrated by Sadie (and the girls are now all in fifth grade).

Despite not having read book two, I was easily able to read WINNER BAKES ALL and still highly enjoy my reading experience. It’s great that the series tells each book from a different characters point of view – I liked getting to know more about Sadie. From her fear of ever understanding math (I can relate!) to worries about how much her parents have been fighting lately (divorce??) and the fact that Peace, Love and Cupcakes is slowly making less money, Sadie has a lot on her mind and plate. But she handles everything wonderfully, and is able to help kick butt in the Battle of the Bakers competition that the club enters. I got a laugh out of the descriptions of the competition, the judges and the cupcakes they had to make. And I loved the little nod to Buddy Valestro, the Cake Boss!

This book, and series, is wonderful in how it portrays strong friendships. The girls help each other through their ups and downs and have so much fun. They rely on each other and make a great team. The worries about divorce and learning disabilities like dyslexia in WINNER BAKES ALL (and topics like bullying from the first book) go a long way in helping make the series appeal to a broad range of readers, who will find something and someone to connect with in the stories.

I wouldn’t hesitate to hand WINNER BAKES ALL by Sheryl and Carrie Berk to any of upper elementary students. Most would read it just because a kid like them helped write it! The smooth and descriptive writing, relatable characters and situations and the fun of a group of fifth graders running their own business make this book very approachable. The cupcake recipes found at the end of the book are so tempting to make and a nice touch. A series that combines reading and baking, my two favourite things – how could I not like it? I’m looking forward to book four! ( )
  thekams | Jun 30, 2013 |
Mother-daughter writing team, Sheryl and Carrie Berk, are bringing us another adventure for the girls in The Cupcake Club. Winner Bakes All is the next book in this delightful series. Sadie's world is rattled after hearing her parents argue about money. She fears they're heading for divorce. If that's not bad enough, tough times hit the club's finances and they take a big financial hit. To make matters even worse, Sadie is struggling in her math class. However bad times are, they are no match for The Cupcake Club. Sadie's friends vow to help her through any crises, even math. The girls decide to enter a huge baking competition to try to help raise money to continue their club.

The Cupcake Club series is a charming series that would appeal to young girls or cupcake lovers. The girls face realistic problems that would hit home with so many kids. However through the strength of friendship and perseverance the girls face their problems head-on. This is a great series that will leave you with warm, fuzzy feelings as well as hungry . . . for cupcakes. The girls are always creating new and mouth-watering recipes. One of the things I love about these books is that Sheryl and Carrie Berk share the recipes made in the book with the readers. This is a great activity to share with your child. They also have a section in the back of the book for girls who may want to start their own club.

Overall this book, as well as the series, is a win. My daughter and I both love reading these books. We can't wait for the next adventure and to try out the new cupcake recipes!
Read more at http://www.2readornot2read.com/2013/04/mmm-cupcakes.html#5brHDEtMVrJDqFz5.99 ( )
  mt256 | Apr 20, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,972,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible