Gerald's Game by Stephen King

Gerald's Game (edition 1993)

by Stephen King

7,11680975 (3.29)1 / 106
When rough sex between Jessie and Gerald Burlingame turns deadly, leaving Gerald dead and Jessie handcuffed to the bed, it sets in motion a terrifying and psychologically twisted twenty-eight hours.
Member:leezeebee
Title:Gerald's Game
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder and Stoughton, Hardcover, 394 pages
Rating:**
Tags:fiction

Gerald's Game by Stephen King

Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: These two books are thematically related and tied together by a full eclipse of the sun that occurs at a climactic moment.
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: Not exactly a ghost story like Bag of Bones, but thrilling to the end. Starts off fast (however does have sexual content).

English (68)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (80)
I wavered between a 3 and a 4-star rating on this one. The first time around, 25 years ago, I much preferred this to its companion novel, Delores Claiborne. This time around, I think that other is the better of the two stories.

Most of this book is in Jessie's head--which can be tough to pull off for a short story, let alone a full novel, so full props to King for pulling it off--and her struggle with her past. It's also a fascinating predicament.

While the dog felt completely natural to the story, the other visitor feels a little bolted on, which cost the book one star. Then, there is the protracted ending where much of the events of the book were wrapped up, and that cost the book the second star.

It's not a bad story, but once again, I find my impatience with dream sequences was tested (I'm finding it a little shocking how much King used dream sequences in his novels, and it's kind of pissing me off). But overall, while I enjoyed it, Delores beats Gerald. But, I do have to say, the climax of the novel (let's just say it involves her hand and the cuffs), was some of the best writing King has put to paper. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Official rating is 3.75-4*
I listened to Carrie and it definitely wasn't what I expected and listening to Gerald's Game definitely wasn't what I expected either. These are the first two books by Stephen King that I have read and overall they haven't been (knock on wood) as scary as I have thought they would be.

Gerald's Game is about a woman, Jessie Burlingame, engaging in some fun sex play with her husband who dies while Jessie is handcuffed to their bed. Over the next day or so, Jessie tries to figure out how to escape the cuffs, but also is forced to face some inner demons that she has been ignoring and pushing away since her childhood.

This book is obvious very character driven (Jessie specifically). Not much happens as far as the action goes in this book, yet I still found myself riveted and listening throughout the entire book. There were very few times that I found myself thinking about other things while listening to the narrator (and I didn't think she was that great of a narrator either). I wanted to find out what had happened to Jessie as a child, and even though I was able to pretty much guess what had happened to her with only the barest of hints, it was still intriguing to hear that part of the story and how much it shaped the rest of Jessie's life. The majority of this book is Jessie listening to and communicating with several different voices "inside her head". These ultimately play the largest roles when her survival is questioned.

I found myself following her emotions and thoughts very closely. I definitely wasn't as scared as her since I wasn't handcuffed to a bed, but reliving her past and facing her future were moments that I felt connected to her emotions. Jessie is a character that you can't help but feel connected to because of her depth and dimension. I even found myself doubting her when she doubted herself and freaked out at other moments because of specific events of the book. I was beyond disgusted at certain parts that included her deceased and decaying husband on the floor as well as during Jessie's imminent escape from the handcuffs. Well done exploring every option of thought and escape Mr. King!

While this book will (thankfully) not give me nightmares, it did almost make me pull over on the side of the road so I could practice some deep breathing while some grossness was discussed by Mr. King in full, grotesque detail. I definitely was not looking for a nightmare, so the former is an okay thing. I did find this book entertaining and very well written, but from a personal standpoint, it lacked something in the excitement department. This has nothing to do with the choices of King, but means more-so that I'm the kind of person who usually looks for big, bold actions to be made by characters in order to be entertained. I definitely enjoyed my time listening to/reading this book, but there was just a little lacking for me. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
This is not your typical horror show. A woman trying to make it through the weekend after getting chained to the bed. The dog scene is very memorable, it "humanises" the animal to make the raw power of hunger something that is infectious. ( )
  David_Masumba | Oct 14, 2020 |
Gerald's Game
Ok, i really didn’t like this one at all. It was much too long and drawn out and would probably have been better if it was just a short story or a novella. In the end i think i just started skimming because i was bored and wanted to know what the ending was.

Gerald’s Game is the story of what happens to Jessie after she gets handcuffed to the bed by her husband and then has no way out for about two days. The story is told by Jessie and all the voices in her head and that’s pretty much all the dialogue. She is rather resourceful when it comes to getting out of those cuffs eventually but after that, i just got bored.

I skimmed the rest and was somewhat satisfied by the ending. But other than that, eh.

I’m currently reading the new and expanded edition of The Gunslinger, so far so good, but now i’m gonna want to reread the whole series lol, but that’s ok because The Wind Through the Keyhole is coming out in April and i’m excited, i love anything to do with Roland and the Dark Tower!

Happy Readings!

artdamnit_reads | Jul 29, 2020 |
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a teenager.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
{Sadie} gathered herself together. No one could describe the scorn of her expression or the contemptuous hatred she put into her answer.

"You men! You filthy dirty pig! You're all the same, all of you! Pigs! Pigs!"

-- W. Somerset Maugham,

"Rain"
This book is dedicated, with love and admiration, to six good women:

Margaret Spruce Morehouse
Catherine Spruce Graves
Stephanie Spruce Leonard
Anne Spruce Labree
Tabitha Spruce King
Marcella Sprice
Jessie could hear the back door banging lightly, randomly, in the October breeze blowing around the house.

On a warm weekday in October, in the lovely summer home of Gerald and Jessie Burlingame, a game is about to begin. It's a game to be played between husband and wife, and a game that has Jessie being innocently handcuffed to the bedposts. Then, in one horrible violent act, Gerald is dead and Jessie--well, she's alone and still chained to the bed. But Jessie's about to have company that goes beyond all of her worst nightmares.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,406,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible