The New Hunger: A Warm Bodies Novella (Warm…

The New Hunger: A Warm Bodies Novella (Warm Bodies Series, The) (edition 2015)

by Isaac Marion (Author)

Series: Warm Bodies (0.5)

"The must-read prequel to the "strange and unexpected" (Audrey Niffenegger) and "highly original" (Seattle Times) zombie love story Warm Bodies--the New York Times bestseller and inspiration for the hit film--from the critically acclaimed author whose clever debut turned the classic horror story on its head. The end of the world didn't happen overnight. After years of war, societal breakdown, freak storms, and rising tides, humanity already hovered near the edge. Then came the most unexpected threat of all: the world's corpses rising up to deliver the final blow. Born into this bleak and bloody landscape, twelve-year-old Julie struggles to hold on to hope as she and her parents drive across the wastelands of America on a nightmarish road trip in search of a new home. Hungry, lost, and terrified, sixteen-year-old Nora finds herself her brother's sole guardian after her parents abandon them in the not-quite-empty ruins of Seattle. And in the darkness of a forest, a dead man opens his eyes. Who is he? What is he? With no clues beyond a red tie and the letter "R," he must unravel the grim mystery of his existence--right after he learns how to think, how to walk, and how to satisfy the monster howling in his belly.."-- "The prequel to zombie love story WARM BODIES, THE NEW HUNGER depicts Julie and R's lives in post-apocalyptic America before they met"--… (more)
Member:MeganBowden
Title:The New Hunger: A Warm Bodies Novella (Warm Bodies Series, The)
Authors:Isaac Marion (Author)
Info:Emily Bestler Books (2015), Edition: Illustrated, 192 pages

Work Information

The New Hunger by Isaac Marion

I love reading about zombies with existential crises. It's kinda great.

Full review here. ( )
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
A novella to fill us in on some of the history of our main characters. Writing is consistent with the first and second (I’ve yet to read the third!) installments of the trilogy. Characters themselves felt consistent, and overall this was a nice peek into the character’s pasts-to see how they were at the beginning of it all. That IS all this was though, a little peek, so take it for what it is and you’ll have a better experience; this isn’t a whole new story.

Can’t wait for book 3! ( )
  ambernreads | Apr 15, 2020 |
This provides the backstories of the main characters of "Warm Bodies," but since it was so long since I read it, I didn't yet realize it. Their three stories start out separate, but end up linked by the end, in important ways that make sense knowing what happens in "Warm Bodies." Although they are a prequel, it was nice to read them after the original, and to put together their stories and who they were and who they would become. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jan 27, 2020 |
A dead man lies near a river, and the forest watches him. Gold clouds drift across a warming pink sky. Crows dart through dark pines that hover over him like morbid onlookers. In the deep, wild grass, small living things creep around the dead man's face, eager to eat it and return it to the soul. Their faint clicks mingle with the rush of the wind and the screams of the birds and the roar of the river that will wash away his bones. Nature is hungry. It is ready to take back what the man stole from it by living.

But the dead man opens his eyes.
Every time I read those lines, chills go down my spine and my hairs stand on end.

This is truly something spectacular.

The New Hunger expands upon the ideas of Warm Bodies, giving insight into the lore and the origins of this world and its inhabitants, but it can be read as a standalone just as well; it is powerfully meaningful and substantial. Its lyrical prose spins a tale of survival and curious new life in death, showcasing apocalyptic scenes of beautiful human destruction taken back by nature.

Honestly, it is the best book in the series, and proves just how talented Marion is. His characters are raw and real and his landscapes are hauntingly beautiful. I love it so much. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |
Having loved the author’s first published book, I had to see what else the author had done. This is a short and unnecessary read but it’s well written and enjoyable and gives us a glimpse into the background of the characters in Warm Bodies. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Jan 7, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

The past speaks to us in a thousand voices, warning and comforting, animating and calling to action.  --Felix Adler
For Jenae and Kevon,
Wherever you are, I hope you found good people.
Prologue: This is not the beginning.

Chapter One: A dead man lies near a river, and the forest watches him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,114,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible