Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

Ghostwritten (original 1999; edition 2001)

by David Mitchell

Winner of the Mail on Sunday/John Llewellyn Rhys Prize. A magnificent achievement and an engrossing experience, David Mitchell's first novel announced the arrival of one of the most exciting writers of the twenty-first century. An apocalyptic cult member carries out a gas attack on a rush-hour metro, but what links him to a jazz buff in downtown Tokyo? Or to a Mongolian gangster, a woman on a holy mountain who talks to a tree, and a late night New York DJ? Set at the fugitive edges of Asia and Europe, Ghostwritten weaves together a host of characters, their interconnected destinies determined by the inescapable forces of cause and effect.… (more)
Member:coreyshum
Title:Ghostwritten
Authors:David Mitchell
Info:Vintage (2001), Edition: First American Edition, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (1999)

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (derelicious)
    Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru (jayne_charles)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (derelicious)
    The Weight of Numbers by Simon Ings (stopsatgreen)
    Fame: A Novel in Nine Episodes by Daniel Kehlmann (Tinwara)
    Tinwara: Kehlmann uses the same technique of overlapping and somehow interconnected stories. Coincidentally even the number of stories is the same!

English (104)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (108)
Woah. Hello. ( )
  jaydenmccomiskie | Sep 27, 2021 |
I really enjoyed finding all the little clues that linked the people in the seemingly unrelated stories together. Some of the stories worked better than others and certainly some of the characters were more likeable and the more likeable ones did, generally, end up getting the better of things. There are several themes running through the book; music, how man destroys things and perhaps most importantly how so much of what happens to us, good or bad, is pure chance or serendipity. This a work of great imagination with some great writing and little touches of humour but sometimes, I think, it is a bit too clever and there are many references which will pass the general reader by. For that it looses one star, and it looses another for the weaker stories that were sometimes pedestrian and at others plain baffling. ( )
  Patsmith139 | Mar 15, 2021 |
Loved the first 2/3rds of this book (read in almost one day) --- then it develoed into this weird dystopian thing and I wasn't sure what was what.

The individual stories of people from different parts of the world were interesting and fascinating how the author managed to somehow link them together. The writing is clear, readable, and interesting.

However, I just got lost in the final chapters. Mitchell is no doubt a good writer, but some of it is just not my cup of tea. ( )
  maryreinert | Jan 18, 2021 |
Obviously a very enjoyable read but did it add up to more than a series of impersonations? And what was the penultimate chapter about? A very annoying and repetitive transcript of an unconvincing radio show. ( )
  adrianburke | Dec 9, 2020 |
Not sure how I had missed David Mitchell's debut novel, but here we are. I'm glad I finally have read it now, for sure. Catching the allusions to his later works was great fun (though I'm sure I missed a bunch). ( )
  JBD1 | Nov 27, 2020 |

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oldenburg, VolkerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pavlovská, LenkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

...En ik, die zegt zoveel meer te weten, is het niet mogelijk dat zelfs ik de ware drijfveer achter de drijfveer heb gemist?
Sommigen zeggen dat we die nooit zullen kennen en dat wij voor de goden zijn als de vliegen die door jongens op een zomerdag worden gedood, terwijl anderen zeggen dat zelfs de mus geen veer verliest die niet door Gods vinger weggeveegd is.

Thornton Wilder, The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Voor John
Who was blowing on the nape of my neck?
Mama-San told me I was eighteen when I was born. That makes me old enough to be my father.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,253,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible