The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen…

The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere (edition 2013)

by Phyllis Ann Karr (Author)

Member:KelMunger
Title:The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
Authors:Phyllis Ann Karr (Author)
Info:Wildside Press (2013), 238 pages
Tags:Fantasy, K

Idylls of the Queen by Phyllis Ann Karr

Sir Kay, a neglected part of the Arthurian Cycle, finally gets a chance to shine and present his case in Karr's imaginative book. As a much-put-upon Seneschal of his half brother's illustrious court, Kay finally gets an adventure of his own. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Feb 21, 2014 |
I really loved reading Idylls of the Queen. It took me a while to get into, because the more flippant stories of Camelot are much less my thing, but at its heart the story loved the older tellings of the story, which helped (you can tell by the fact that Phyllis Ann Karr chose an epigraph for each chapter from Malory). It was fun playing spot-the-source, too.

Kay's narrative voice is delightful, and the mystery is fun, too. It helps if you have a good knowledge of Malory, both to follow the plot and make your own guesses, and to see what Karr is doing so cleverly. I loved her version of Gawain, too, and her sympathy with the female characters of the stories was a joy to read. Morgan Le Fay getting to tell her own story -- obviously not totally novel, but fresh enough.

I'm not sure how much this is actually going to help me with my dissertation, but it's a very fun book anyway. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
"The Idylls of the Queen," an Arthurian murder-mystery. Refreshing to find an author who doesn't need to retell the whole Arthurian saga from beginning to end, but is content to bring a small corner of Malory to vivid, original life. ( )
  NickBrooke | Apr 18, 2006 |
"...I, Kay, that thou knawes,
That owte of tyme bostus and blawus..."
- THE AVOWYNGE OF KING ARTHUR
When Patrise put his head down on the table beside me and started groaning and twitching, my first thought was: and they call me the churl of this court.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441358489, Mass Market Paperback)

In The Idylls of the Queen, Phyllis Ann Karr takes an incident (the murder of Sir Patrise) from Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur and creates an intelligent, complex, and fascinating mystery novel perfect for fans of historical mysteries, of British legends, and of fantasy.

Queen Guenevere is giving a dinner to honor King Arthur's knights when one guest, Sir Patrise, falls dead of poison. The dead man's cousin accuses the Queen of murder, and she is taken away, to be held until her trial by combat. If her knight-champion wins, Guenevere will be declared innocent and freed; if he loses, she will be burned to death as a murderer. She is unlikely to survive the trial. Most of Britain's mightiest knights were at the dinner, and therefore cannot fight for the Queen. Her champion and secret lover, the invincible Lancelot, has vanished. And, as Sir Kay realizes, trial by combat determines only is who is the better fighter, not who is guilty. Kay knows the Queen is innocent and an unsuspected murderer is loose in feud-filled Camelot--a murderer who intended to kill a person or persons other than the obscure knight Patrise, and who is poised to kill again. With the trial only days away, Kay joins with the great knights Gawaine and Gareth and their half-brother, King Arthur's bastard son Mordred, in two quests: to find the missing Lancelot, and to uncover the true murderer.

The Idylls of the Queen is set in Malory's medieval world, where magic works, but the author plays fair; she doesn't use magic to solve the mystery. Also, The Idylls of the Queen is written in clear, crisp, timeless English, and not in Malory's difficult and archaic dialect. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,738,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible