The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt

The Day the Crayons Quit (2013)

by Drew Daywalt

Other authors: Oliver Jeffers (Illustrator)

Series: The Crayons (1)

English (457)  Dutch (3)  All languages (460)
"The Day the Crayons Quit" is a funny story about the day Duncan found letters from his crayons. The crayons were unhappy about the way they were being used, so they went on strike. For example, the pink crayon wanted to be used more often, the blue crayon wanted a break, and the beige crayon wanted to be used for something other than wheat. I think this is a funny and cute book. It also would give children more ideas for how to use their colors (ex: make a pink dinosaur instead of only using it for things like princesses). It also sends a message that students should treat their crayons better (like not ripping the paper off of them). This book would be best for younger students, like kindergartners. ( )
  cjusti5 | Apr 18, 2019 |
This book may just be my favorite children's book because of the illustrations and the creativity of the story. The author gives a big personality to each color crayon, each showing emotions that can be very relatable to the reader. The text on each page is written to look like a kid wrote it, which makes it very relatable to its readers. It's also a very funny story. The crayons are so dynamic and strongly opinionated that it makes the story really fun to read. Additionally, the illustrations also look like a kid drew them which really adds to the story. I would 10/10 recommend this book to anyone who wanted to read it.
  crodge3 | Apr 7, 2019 |
There are three reasons why I like this book. First, I like the different perspectives each crayon have. This makes crayons come to life as well as a sneak peek into what they feel and think when Duncan, our main character, uses them. Second, the writing is friendly and not written in the typical print form. The book presents each of the crayon’s perspective in a letter format. Making it easy to distinguish the voices from crayons to crayons. Lastly, the illustration of the book captures my attention. The animals and shapes that the crayon stated they colored are not wrong. While I think I use all of the colors equally, it is surprising to see all the animals and shapes that I normally colored put together. Only then I realized how often I use a certain color. Despite the composition of the book, The Day the Crayon Quit is also a great book to use when introducing argument to children. This allows them to see issues from different perspectives and prepare them to develop their own argument. ( )
  wzuo1 | Apr 2, 2019 |
Drew Daywalt does a great job portraying the life of crayons from a crayon's perspective. Children and adults alike will find this book humorous and entertaining. Daywalt has each crayon write a letter to Duncan (the crayon owner). Duncan just wants to color but finds that all of his crayons have gone missing and they are not happy. Read each letter and become part of the crayons journey from dog vomit to couch cushions. This is an appropriate read for all ages but specifically for grades K-5. ( )
  Eward8 | Mar 28, 2019 |
The Day the Crayons Quit has quickly become one of my favorite picture books. It is a silly story about crayons "quitting" and writing a letter to their owner to explain their reasons. I absolutely loved this book for a number of reasons. It's perfect for a variety of ages, especially early elementary. The illustrations are colorful and very well done. The writing is easy to follow for early readers, and is very engaging as it is full of humor. Dewalt did a fantastic job with this story. ( )
  reddin1 | Mar 25, 2019 |

Drew Daywaltprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeffers, OliverIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koos MeindertsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Marichelle, Abigail and Reese - D.D.
for Ewan - O.J.
One day in class Duncan went to take out his crayons and found a stack of letters with his name on them.

A boy named Duncan owns a box of crayons. He comes to school one morning and wants to use them, but instead he finds letters from each o the crayons. The letters are written in the color's point of view. Each of the crayons complain about how he uses each of them. They are either over used, under used, mistaken as another color- in the end they crayons get their point out to Duncan- we quit!
Unhappy crayons
Write letters to their owner
Hilarity ensues.
(Marissa_Baden)

Crayons have feelings too, in this funny back-to-school story!

Poor Duncan just wants to color. But when he opens his box of crayons, he finds only letters, all saying the same thing: His crayons have had enough! They quit! Beige Crayon is tired of playing second fiddle to Brown Crayon. Black wants to be used for more than just outlining. Blue needs a break from coloring all those bodies of water. And Orange and Yellow are no longer speaking—each believes he is the true color of the sun.

What can Duncan possibly do to appease all of the crayons and get them back to doing what they do best?
Kids will be imagining their own humorous conversations with crayons and coloring a blue streak after sharing laughs with Drew Daywalt and New York Times bestseller Oliver Jeffers. This story is perfect as a back-to-school gift, for all budding artists, for fans of humorous books such as Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Sciezka and Lane Smith, and for fans of Oliver Jeffers' Stuck, The Incredibly Book Eating Boy, Lost and Found, and This Moose Belongs to Me.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:26 -0400)

When Duncan arrives at school one morning, he finds a stack of letters, one from each of his crayons, complaining about how he uses them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,220,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible