The Day the Crayons Quit (2013)

by Drew Daywalt

Other authors: Oliver Jeffers (Illustrator)

Series: The Crayons (1)

When Duncan arrives at school one morning, he finds a stack of letters, one from each of his crayons, complaining about how he uses them.

English (509)  Dutch (4)  All languages (513)
Independent Reading Level: Grades 2-3
Awards: Amazons Best Picture Book of the Year (2013), Barnes and Noble Best Book (2013)
  GracieL | May 5, 2022 |
I really liked this children's book because it shows how a disgruntled group of crayons are showing how upset they are and refusing to paint for their owner. The boy in the book tries everything for the crayons to be happy again. I feel this teaches a lesson to the reader to be aware of the feelings of other and that they might just have to accomodate. ( )
  CarlosY | Feb 15, 2022 |
I've read this book dozens of times this year, acquiescing to the vocal demands of my two-year-old nephew on FaceTime. A touch of gender essentialism spoils it a bit for me, but the illustrations are nice and it seems to be very very popular with the demographic audience. ( )
  krtierney | Dec 27, 2021 |
The art was absolutely charming and the story funny, but I hesitate to read aloud to kids. Call me overly sensitive, but my 3 year old repeats EVERYTHING I say and I don't like the idea of introducing so much repetition of such negativity! The crayons are airing their grievances but they are just so whiny while they're doing it.
That being said, I really liked the different personalities of each crayon and the ending (while abrupt) was satisfying. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Library thing predicted I wouldn't like this book and it was right. (I checked after I read it out of curiosity.) Cute illustrations and I like the concept with the letters but very whiny. ( )
  Tosta | Nov 29, 2021 |

Drew Daywaltprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeffers, OliverIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koos MeindertsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Marichelle, Abigail and Reese - D.D.
for Ewan - O.J.
One day in class Duncan went to take out his crayons and found a stack of letters with his name on them.

A boy named Duncan owns a box of crayons. He comes to school one morning and wants to use them, but instead he finds letters from each o the crayons. The letters are written in the color's point of view. Each of the crayons complain about how he uses each of them. They are either over used, under used, mistaken as another color- in the end they crayons get their point out to Duncan- we quit!
Unhappy crayons
Write letters to their owner
Hilarity ensues.
(Marissa_Baden)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,703,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible