dismiss

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt

The Day the Crayons Quit (2013)

by Drew Daywalt

Other authors: Oliver Jeffers (Illustrator)

Series: The Crayons (1)

When Duncan arrives at school one morning, he finds a stack of letters, one from each of his crayons, complaining about how he uses them.

English (486)  Dutch (4)  All languages (490)
"The Day the Crayons Quit" by Drew Daywalt and illustrated by Oliver Jeffers is one of my favorite children's books. When I first read the picture book years ago I was taken aback with the amount of creativity in both the writing and illustrations. Oliver Jeffers is also a favorite of mine, as his illustrations are intensely creative and always have a pure lesson for life. The Day the Crayons Quit is about a young boy's crayons who decide to voice their concerns and go on strike from drawling. Each of the Crayons have a different issue and expresses it with a written letter addressed to their boy Duncan. I believe this text is an additional great mentor text and can be used for a point of view lesson or opinion writing lesson. Its versatility, creative plot, and colorful illustrations makes "The Day The Crayon's Quit" one of my favorite pieces of children's literature. ( )
  JAdair1 | May 12, 2020 |
Duncan finds a stack of letters in his crayon box. His crayons have decided to quit and each one has left a letter about how they feel and why they have left. Duncan just wants his crayons to be happy. This is such a funny and cute story. I think young children would love it. I love how each page is written like an actual letter from each crayon. So creative. ( )
  slserpas | May 8, 2020 |
This would be a great book to use in a lesson about writing letters. Would use for younger grades such as kindergarten or first grade. ( )
  SkylerStanley | Apr 27, 2020 |
This book is written in letter form from the crayons to David. I think this story is absolutely hilarious which each crayon having their own unique letter that contains their reason for quitting. Each crayon is unique in their own way, and this can be relatable for the students. I love the illustrations in this book because it is like David drew them, which is also relatable for the students. This is the perfect fiction book to get your class laughing and encourage them to use their imagination! ( )
  slopez123 | Apr 19, 2020 |
The Day the Crayons Quit is a humorous and unique modern fantasy story about a little boy that receives letters from each of his crayons expressing their various reasons for quitting. This book not only is funny, but also gives the reader an important message that we do not have to be like everyone else and that we can use or imagination and think outside of the box! The Day the Crayons Quit is a great read aloud book. ( )
  Rickayla | Apr 14, 2020 |

Drew Daywaltprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeffers, OliverIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koos MeindertsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Marichelle, Abigail and Reese - D.D.
for Ewan - O.J.
One day in class Duncan went to take out his crayons and found a stack of letters with his name on them.

A boy named Duncan owns a box of crayons. He comes to school one morning and wants to use them, but instead he finds letters from each o the crayons. The letters are written in the color's point of view. Each of the crayons complain about how he uses each of them. They are either over used, under used, mistaken as another color- in the end they crayons get their point out to Duncan- we quit!
Unhappy crayons
Write letters to their owner
Hilarity ensues.
(Marissa_Baden)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,379,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible