The Red Rose Box

by Brenda Woods

In 1953, Leah Hopper dreams of leaving the poverty and segregation of her home in Sulphur, Louisiana, and when Aunt Olivia sends train tickets to Los Angeles as part of her tenth birthday present, Leah gets a first taste of freedom.

It is so amazing and interesting and so lively and entertaining one of the best books I have ever read
  naleisha | Feb 15, 2018 |
I would use this book to introduce segregation and the things African Americans endured during the time of segregation. I would use this book in 4th and 5th grade levels. I would have them write a letter to someone they would like to speak to.
  kroby01 | Mar 14, 2017 |
I would use this book in middle school as an independent read, and as an extended activity within the book, I would review how to write letters, formal language, letter format, and have the students write their own letters to their make believe lost love or heart break, like the one written by Leah in the novel. I could also use this book as a read aloud in a fourth or fifth grade class during a unit on Civil Rights and post-slavery. I would use this book as a read aloud to help the students with the larger vocabulary and content.
  Courtney_Kelley | Mar 13, 2017 |
Good book ( )
  DonnaLBradley | Nov 1, 2009 |
This book would be an excellent resource for multicultural genre based on its word usage and slang. I could also use this book in social studies to show how segregation looked in the southern versus northern states.
  frick | Nov 6, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,921,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible