The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles

The Kissing Booth (edition 2013)

by Beth Reekles (Author)

Series: Kissing Booth (1)

Meet Rochelle "Elle" Evans: pretty, popular--and never been kissed. Meet Noah Flynn: badass, volatile--and a total player. When Elle decides to run a kissing booth at her school's Spring Carnival, she locks lips with Noah and her life is turned upside down. Her head says to keep away, but her heart wants to draw closer. This romance seems far from a fairy tale. Is Elle headed for heartbreak or will she get her happily ever after?… (more)
Member:mandyp50
Title:The Kissing Booth
Authors:Beth Reekles (Author)
Info:Ember (2013), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages

The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles

Picked it up after seeing the trailer for the Netflix movie coming out. This book has some real problems...I didn't realize it was set in America until halfway through because of all the British slang and one of the main male characters seemed to be two completely different people in the first and second halves of the book.

That being said it was a quick and easy read and I found it to be a fairly enjoyable (though unrealistic) story. ( )
  littlemuls | Jan 28, 2021 |
Elle is best friends with Lee and has always admired Lee's brother Noah from the sidelines. Noah kisses Elle at the carnival kissing booth which sets off a series of events that change the dynamic of both of their lives. This looks like a cute little romance, but this is a YA romance for mature teens. Mature themes including sex and violent anger. I liked the idea of this book, but in the end after thinking about it I really not as sold on the finished product. Middle of the road 3 stars. ( )
  sdbookhound | Mar 9, 2019 |
Summary:

The main characters of this book are Elle Evans, Lee Flynn, and Noah Flynn. Elle and Lee have been best friends since they were born because they were born on the same day at the same time, and lived next to each other all their lives. When the two grew up, they found a love for dancing. When they were about seven, they established "friendship rules" that they each had to follow. fast forward a bit and it is now high school, and Elle has a "monster crush" as said in the book on Noah Flynn, Lee's older brother. But, because of the "friendship rules", Elle is not aloud to date Lee's brother. Noah gets into a fight at school, and Elle gets involved. After that, Elle and Noah start becoming more friendly. Lee and Elle have to make a booth for the school carnival, and they choose to make a kissing booth. At the carnival Elle is pushed onto a spot on the booth with a blindfold and ends up kissing Noah. After this, they start dating, but secretly. This only works for about two months until Lee finds out and gets mad at Elle. They fix their friendship in the end with their love of dance, and Noah is sent off to college. In the end, Elle is aloud to date Noah and see's him on special occasions from his school and "it all started with just a silly kissing booth.'

Opinion:

This book was WAY too long. In my opinion, there were too many details when the author could've gotten straight to the point. Although, it was a long story and needed a lot of pages to tell. I started reading this book because I saw the movie, and really wanted to read how the original story went. The book is actually quite a lot different. There was a whole 50 page section about the characters going to a pool that wasn't any where in the movie, and I liked the surprise- I didn't know what was going to happen in the book like I expected. Overall, if you are into forbidden romance and this is defiantly the book for you, because of how easy the writer makes it for you to visualize whats happening. Just make sure you are ready for 450 pages of clear visuals! ( )
  VivienneS.B4 | Oct 22, 2018 |
Read my full review of the book here! Spoiler Free!

I went into this book with unknown expectations and unfortunately, this book didn't do too much for me.

I think it mostly has to do with Elle's character. She was set up in such a way that I knew I was supposed to like her and in theory I should have. She was a tomboy, had mostly guy friends and wasn't obsessive with the need to have a boyfriend like most girls her age--we would be good friends at school in theory I think. But there was just something about her that rubbed me the wrong way. As I read it more, I think it was the way she took the wrong things seriously and downplayed the serious things. I also didn't get her logic at times either--she just seemed to go about things the round-about way and not directly.

There isn't much any plot besides Elle dealing with her feelings for her BFF's brother and how her BFF reacts. However, the romance aspect is really cute and there is enough "drama" within this plot to keep it moving forward enough for a reader.

The only time I did like Elle was at the end where she got a little bit realistic; although it seemed out of place. However, as much as I appreciate the realism, an epilogue would be nice ;) I just wanted that little bit of closure.

Oh, I also thought the book might be more "British" in its delivery as the author is from the UK, but it actually takes place in America and it very American in its delivery so just be advised! It kind-of threw me at the start :P

OVERALL: It was a cute read, but nothing overly fabulous. I liked the way it poked fun at other books of the genre and I liked that it didn't always take the "cliché" way with its plot. If you want a slower, cute, clean, and quick read about falling in love with your BFF's older brother, then check it out--otherwise, pass!

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
I read this on the strength of word of mouth and tbh I wasn't disappointed. Its an easy read, written by a 17 year old girl in Wales. Yes the book has flaws but when you consider the age this book is aimed at then I dont think they'd mind and I didnt either. I will say that the book is set in the US, the author is from the UK and its quite apparent with the language she uses.

Its a typical girl falls for the bad boy who cares about no one but likes a good fight. She's his brother's best friend and he likes to torment - yeah well dont they all love to torment the girls they like!

Worth a read but dont expect Jane Eyre, this is a book aimed at YA, written by a YA about YA and in terms of all that it fits the brief! ( )
  VictoriaJ1707 | Jul 2, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,210,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible