The Living by Matt de la Peña

The Living

by Matt de la Peña

After an earthquake destroys California and a tsunami wrecks the luxury cruise ship where he is a summer employee, high schooler Shy confronts another deadly surprise.
Recently added bySMA_Hive, rena75

Good book for a young person interested in action, suspense, medical mystery and a bit of romance thrown in for fun. Reminded me of a juvenile version of Michael Crichton's and Robin Cook's novels. Really annoyed right now that it's just part one. I want the culmination of the story now but have to wait until I get the next book in the series. ( )
  Reyesk9 | Sep 23, 2019 |
The Living is about Shy the his summer adventures he's about to have. Then tables turn when he is working on a cruise ship and finds a man committing suicide. He tries to save him, but is unable to and then gets haunted by him. This book has many twist and turns. ( )
  Allee_Dana | Mar 18, 2019 |
CATEGORY: Matt de la Pena

Shy is about to have the summer of his life. He deserves it; the few months leading up to this dream job had been rough, watching his Abuela die of Romero Disease. He boards the cruise ship ready to make a ton of money, but on the first excursion, he talks to man as he commits suicide by jumping off of the ship. Shy tried to save him, but only caught his sleeve. He thought that that was all he would have to deal with concerning the man, but he was wrong. The man haunts him on every excursion, and Shy is being trailed by men in suits on the ships. Suddenly, disaster strikes. "The Big One" hits the west coast, sending catastrophic tsunami waves out to Shy's ship. Everything breaks apart, hundreds die, and Shy finds himself stranded on a life boat with a preppy idiot. But this is only the beginning.

I really liked this book, just because it had an interesting plot. I thought that the dystopic ending was a little much and not really necessary, but I enjoyed reading the book. I think that without the whole "Romero disease was created by scientist and everyone's dying but we have the vaccination" didn't really need to be there: the book was interesting enough on its own without that angle. In the end, I just liked reading this one Saturday because it was easy. ( )
  haileyblatter | Nov 17, 2018 |
We are going to include this book on our list of choices for rising 9th grade students...lots of adventure and excitement with some social conscience built into the characters. I can't wait for the sequel! ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
I read this series backwards. I wish I had read this book first. I enjoyed reading it though I just knew some things from the second book that I felt ruined the feelings for the first one. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | May 1, 2018 |

Matt de la Peñaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leyva, HenryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,388,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible