Rapture Practice by Aaron Hartzler

Rapture Practice

by Aaron Hartzler

Aaron Hartzler grew up in a home where he was taught that at any moment the Rapture could happen -- that Jesus might come down in the twinkling of an eye and scoop Aaron and his whole family up to Heaven. As a kid, he was thrilled by the idea that every moment of every day might be his last one on Earth. But as Aaron turns sixteen, he finds himself more attached to his earthly life and curious about all the things his family forsakes for the Lord. He begins to realize he doesn't want the Rapture to happen just yet -- not before he sees his first movie, stars in the school play, or has his first kiss. Eventually Aaron makes the plunge from conflicted do-gooder to full-fledged teen rebel. Whether he's sneaking out, making out, or playing hymns with a hangover, Aaron learns a few lessons that can't be found in the Bible. He discovers that the best friends aren't always the ones your mom and dad approve of, the girl of your dreams can just as easily be the boy of your dreams, and the tricky part about believing is that no one can do it for you. In this coming-of-age memoir, Hartzler recalls his teenage journey to become the person he wanted to be, without hurting the family that loved him.… (more)

I really love Hartzler's writing style. I read his novel, and wanted more, and I'm so glad I found this memoir. Incredibly interesting and beautifully written. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
Apparently I'm in to memoirs about growing up in fundamentalism now. Cool. This one was more on the funny side than Girl at the End of the World, but I am going to stop the comparisons there because the two books do not really share that much ion common in tone, message, or topics.

Aaron Hartzler grew up in Missouri, going to church multiple times a Sunday, attending a Christian school, performing in evangelical plays, and never quite feeling like he fit in. He creates the "perfect son" mask and wears it the best he can, hiding his love for secular music, sneaking out to movies, watching tv, even drinking at a friend's. This book is about the soul-crushing responsibility of maintaining discrete personas with various groups of people. It is about hiding yourself so completely that maybe you can bury part of yourself where even you can't find them. And it's about the consequences of the mask falling away. It's about accepting people, loving people, as they are, even when their worldview is different from yours. And it's about giving them the chance to love you back.

Aaron Hartzler is gay. But this book wasn't about that. It was mentioned, but it was not the plot-driver of this book. I think that was one of the things that made this book so good. It managed to tell a story about bring true to yourself and showing the world who you really are, told from the perspective of a gay teen, that was not about being gay. It was certainly about questioning the status quo and how best to deal with parents,but that is a struggle for every teen, not just the gay ones. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
The memoir of growing up in a strict Baptist household. Hartzler conveys the terror of Hell and breaking the rules that his parents/church/school/camp taught, but he also gives us scenes of joy and family togetherness. It's a more nuanced description than I think most people would be able to give.

I didn't love this--there isn't much of a driving force to this book, and Hartzler isn't much of a writer. But he describes his changing mindset and the evangelical context well. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
An interesting look into a rather depressing childhood. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Aaron Hartzler's surprisingly fresh memoir of his life in a family where the Rapture was imminent and God is great. As a child, Hartzler truly believed in the Rapture but as he grew older, he longed to experience things other teens did without the condemnation it brings (movies, music, books). As Hartzler struggles to please his parents as well as experiment with new experiences, he grows confused and guilty. Eventually, he comes to term with his take on religion as well as his own identity. ( )
  sushiroll | Jun 2, 2014 |

Aaron Hartzlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scott, SteveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rapture: noun \ 'rap-cher\

1: an expression or manifestation of ecstacy or passion.
2a: a state or experienece of being carried away by overhwelming emotion; b: a mystical experience in which the spirit is exalted to a knowledge of divine things.
3 often capitalized: the final assumption of Christians into heaven during the end-time according to Christian theology.
Belief: noun \be-'lef\: a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing.
For Ann Manev, whose faith helped me start.  For Nathan Hatch, whose love helped me finish.  And for Alice Pope, who helped with everything in between.
Something you should know up front about my family: We believe that Jesus is coming back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,750,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible