Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King

Hearts in Atlantis (edition 1999)

by Stephen King

6,51184921 (3.66)1 / 113
Member:mathgeek
Title:Hearts in Atlantis
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner Book Co. (1999), Unbound

Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King

The Gunslinger by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: There are thematic connections between the title story of Hearts in Atlantis and The Dark Tower series.
    From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz (derelicious)
    Duma Key by Stephen King (SqueakyChu)

English (83)  Italian (1)  All languages (84)
The thing is, that in general I don't like short stories. And this book is no exception, even when it is written by an author I usually like a lot.

It made so little impression, that even rereading the blurb did not really ring a bell. Considering the form and the impact it made, I won't consider rereading the book. There's too may others waiting to be read for the first time.
Too bad that I didn't have internet when I read it for the first time... I would have put my thoughts on 'paper' straight away. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 12, 2019 |
One of my favorites by Stephen King. He does a masterful job of capturing an era and writing some damn fine stories revolving around it. Recommended for anyone interested in the Vietnam Era, Stephen King or storytelling in general. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
Loved the structure (two novellas, three short stories connected by various characters) and the mood. The bittersweet aspect of the collection really got to me. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
This was very much an un-stephen-king-like book, with the small exception of the first section that follows Bobby Garfield. There was just the smallest touch of the supernatural in all of the sections, but the first one had the strongest ties to the supernatural along with references to the Dark Tower. I enjoyed this section the most because of the slowly building fear and nerves.

The other sections were not bad by any means, but they could have been stand alone contemporary fiction novellas or a small collection of such, about various characters' experiences with Vietnam and with the anti-war era of that time.

Overall, I did enjoy this book, but it was a bit of a let down since we never really got to see Stephen King's trademark scary story telling. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
In ''Hearts in Atlantis,'' it's as though King has written two lengthy prologues and two brief epilogues but left out the novel proper. Or perhaps he hasn't. The book's juxtapositions set me wondering: maybe Vietnam is the archetype not only of the otherworldly horror Bobby chooses to avoid in ''Low Men in Yellow Coats'' but of all King's supernatural horror.

Number 6: What do you want?

Number 2: Information.

Number 6: Whose side are you on?

Number 2: That would be telling We want information.

Number 6: You won't get it!

Number 2: By hook or by crook...we will.
--The Prisoner
Simon stayed where he was, a small brown image, concealed by the leaves. Even if he shut his eyes the sow's head still remained like an after-image. The half-shut eyes were dim with the infinite cynicism of adult life. They assured Simon that everything was a bad business. -- William Golding, Lord of the Flies
"We blew it." -- Easy Rider
This is for Joseph and Leanora and Ethan: I told you all that to tell you this.
Bobby Garfield's father had been one of those fellows who start losing their hair in their twenties and are completely bald by the age of forty-five or so.
There are also books full of great writing that don’t have very good stories. Read sometimes for the story, Bobby. Don’t be like the book snobs that won’t do that. Read sometimes for the words--the language. Don’t be like the play-it-safers that won’t do that. But when you find a book that has both a good story and good words, treasure that book.

Hearts in Atlantis is a collection of two novellas and three short stories by Stephen King, all connected to one another by recurring characters and taking place in roughly chronological order. The stories are about the baby boomer generation, specifically King's view that this generation (to which he belongs) failed to live up to its promise and ideals.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671024248, Mass Market Paperback)

With his idiosyncratic blend of patrician airs and boyish charm, narrator William Hurt provides a wonderful complement to this wildly imaginative collection of short stories by author Stephen King. Hurt carefully weaves the disparate elements into a cohesive whole, embracing the subtle complexities of each character; one moment a wizened sadness leaks into his voice as a haunted old man, pursued by demons, asks his 11-year-old lookout, "You know everyone on this street, on this block of this street anyway? And you'd know strangers? Sojourners? Faces of those unknown?" Then, in a profound yet almost imperceptible switch, he exposes the boy's naive enthusiasm, "I think so." Right about here your neck hairs will stand at attention. Hurt's peculiar vocal style is in perfect pitch to King's dark, surreal vision of growing up amid the monsters of post-Vietnam America. (Running time: 21 hours, 16 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:50 -0400)

Five interconnected, sequential tales set in the years between 1960 and 1999 focus on the Vietnam War and weave together innocence, experience, truth, deceit, loss, and recovery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,532,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible