The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of…

The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Susan Casey

Journalist Casey first saw the great white sharks of the Farallon Islands, some longer than twenty feet, swirling around a small motorboat in a documentary. In a few months, Casey was being hoisted out of the early-winter swells on a crane, up a cliff face to the barren surface of Southeast Farallon Island, just 27 miles off the coast of San Francisco--dubbed by sailors in the 1850s the "devil's teeth." There she joined two biologists who bunk down during shark season each fall in the island's one habitable building, a 135-year-old house spackled with lichen and gull guano. Two days later, she got her first glimpse of the famous, terrifying jaws up close, and she was hooked.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:tidepooltostars
Title:The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks
Authors:Susan Casey
Info:Holt Paperbacks (2006), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages

Work Information

The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks by Susan Casey (2005)

Survival
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
As much about the Farallons as the great whites there. All the drama of the sharks plus a look into the characters that are obsessed by them. Very worth the read. ( )
  BBrookes | Dec 8, 2023 |
I selected this book because of my particular interest in White sharks. However, tthe book is less about sharks, and more about the history of the islands, the author’s interaction with a few onsite biologists, as well certain birds, seals, and sea life native to the area. In fairness, the book provides a wonderful account of the natural beauty and solemnity of the islands.

It is an excellent story, but frankly contains a bit more fluff than I would have preferred. Nonetheless, an enjoyable read for those who do not expect too much analysis of great white sharks. ( )
  la2bkk | Feb 7, 2023 |
I really enjoyed this book and ended up going on my own Great White Shark dive at the Farallon islands, only to see a jellyfish after 8 hours on a boat and in and out of a cage :( Oh well, it's probably for the better. This is just an exciting place to be with a lot of interesting history, especially the large sharks. ( )
  TenkaraSmart | Jun 8, 2021 |
I agree almost word for word with a goodreads review written by Stephanie. I do not know Stephanie but I agree this book left me with mixed emotions. Deciding how to rate was difficult.

The Farallon Islands were described in detail during the first half of the book. Until this book, I hardly knew about the islands or the wildlife in that area. I was enthusiastic about the marine life I discovered. YouTube was always nearby as I spent more time lookng up sea creatures and more books.

The second half of the book was more about the author's obsession with getting to the island by any means possible. She did not seem to respect the researchers as professionals with notable degrees. She was pushy and unethical. What was ironic, Susan Casey did not disguise the researchers reactions to her behavior. She did not curb her ways despite their polite attempts to curb her ways.

Throughout her visits to the islands, the researchers were always nice to her. Perhaps that was the problem. Had they been grough, she may not have abused their kindness.

Learning that one of the researchers lost his job because of her negligence was gut wrenching. I am sure he has found other work but it seems the debacle that ensued could have been avoided. At least, if things happened the way Susan Casey wrote them... ( )
1 vote godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
Humanity is exalted not because we are so far above all living creatures, but because knowing them well elevates the very concept of life.
—Edward O. Wilson
Every angel is terrifying.
—Rainer Maria Rilke
To my family: Ron, Angela, Bob, and Bill, who taught me to love the wild things.
The killing took place at dawn and as usual it was a decapitation, accomplished by a single vicious swipe.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,996,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible