Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin) by…

Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin) (edition 2013)

by Jennifer Estep

Series: Elemental Assassin (9)

Gin Blanco is out for blood when a fire elemental and his goons kidnap her close friend Sophia Deveraux.
Member:Sam.Berretti
Title:Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin)
Authors:Jennifer Estep
Info:Pocket Books (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Heart of Venom by Jennifer Estep

Heart of Venom is book nine in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

In Heart of Venom we get to see a different side to Gin. Her patient demeanor slips and is replaced by emotion. She takes risk’s that in her line of work is dangerous. We see that she won’t let anything happen to the ones she loves. You mess with her family and friends and the Spider comes calling.

As the Spider she is always patient, waiting in the background to strike when the time is right, but this time around she doesn’t take her time and do the homework. She just reacts. Her friend has been threatened and she barrels into an impossible situation guns blazing. She’s always been cool headed, but we see that her emotional state is affecting her this time around.

Sophia has always been a mystery. She doesn’t talk much, but is a pro at disposing of bodies. The Deveraux sisters are a big part of this series. It was wonderful to finally learning more about one of them. We uncover the whys behind her goth wardrobe, her knack for disposing of bodies, and why she is the way she is. It was heartbreaking to learn about her past, but it also explains so much about her. We also get some nice flashbacks. They add to the story and friendships. As always Fletcher is still an interracial part of the story, even though he’s gone, he still affects life today.

Now with Owen. There’s progress on that front and I was satisfied with how things are going. His heartfelt apology and actions speak volumes, but their is still a long hard road ahead before forgiveness. I approved of Gin’s caution where he’s concerned. As much as I love him and want an HEA, I’m happy that she didn’t succumb and give in. Their relationship needs time to heal and rebuild for it to work. Owen really messed up. This novel is a turning point for their relationship.

Heart of Venom gives us a different side of Gin, shows us Sophia’s past and how it affects her, and Owen’s fight to win back the love of his life. Estep does not disappoint! It’s another superb installment with heart-stoping action-packed moments. I can’t wait to dive into book ten and see what’s next for Gin and the gang.

Rated: 4 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Ok so this book, was just alright for me. the only good things about it was that Owen and Gin worked out their issues, and you got to know Sophia a little more. And M.M. Monroe put a little hmmm wonder what's going on there into it. But other than that, it was a little dry for me. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
This is another of the better books in this book series. As usual there is a bad guy for Gin to take out. This time however there is a nice twist in that it is an old “acquaintance” of Sophia and Jo-Jo and as the story progresses we get to know the background story of the Goth dwarf, why she have her raspy voice and why she always takes care of the “leftovers” after Gin’s various adventures.

As usual Gin and her friends leaves a trail of bodies in Gin’s normal “bad-ass” style. During the process Gin and Owen also comes to a conclusion of their little differences since a few books back. I still fail to grasp why some people keeps harping about how bad Owen is since that episode. I cannot help wonder if they read the same books as me.

Otherwise this book follows the same style as previous books although as a whole I felt this book was one of the better ones. Finn, Bria and now also Philip adds to the fun as usual and the whole mix ends up being a quite enjoyable read. I am certainly looking forward to see where the M.M. Monroe thread will lead although unfortunately, from what I understand, the next book in the series is actually a prequel. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
I love this author.

Really... the spider books are on my top 5 list of the best books I've read. They never disappoint. They are always great.. everything is always perfect... and every time I read a book I fall more in love with Gin and Finn... and the dwarf sisters. ( )
  Wasabiishot | May 9, 2017 |
Heart of Venom is the ninth book in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

Since the first time we met Sophia Deveraux we knew something bad happened in her life, something that left her forever changed, but we didn’t know any details of her ordeal until now.
Many years ago Sophia was kidnapped and held hostage by Harley Grimes, he tortured her and tried to break her. Luckily for her Fletcher Lane rescued her just in time and brought her back to her sister Jo-Jo. After her recovery Sophia started to work for Fletcher at the Pork Pit and as a body disposer for his multiple jobs. Now with Fletcher gone Sophia works with Gin, but she’s more than just an employee, she and Jo-Jo are part of Gin’s family.
After many years, Grimes is back in the picture and with the help of his psychotic sister, Hazel, they kidnapped Sophia again, leaving behind Jo-Jo fighting for her life. What the Grimes brother and sister didn’t know was that attacking the Deveraux sisters was the same as signing a death warrant with their names on it, because Gin aka The Spider would never let anybody hurt the few people that she counts as family and friends.

Heart of Venom uses the same formula as previous books, somebody attacks a member of Gin’s family or a friend, and Gin comes to the rescue. The difference in this installment is that Gin is more emotionally compromised than in previous books. This time around Gin doesn’t do the detailing planning she usually does before any of her assignments, she knows every second counts and there is not time to spare, she needs to get Sophia out now.
Sophia barely survived her first time in Grimes’ hands and after learning more about that experience Gin knows Sophia will rather be dead than going through all that over again.

Despite not having planned the attacked Gin shows us how smart she is when she strategized the attack, we can see what she learned under Fletcher’s tutelage and how she puts it into practice and the best part is that she’s not alone, now she has a network of friends that will always be there for her whenever she needs their help.

One of the things I liked the most about Heart of Venom was that we learned more about the Deveraux sisters and how they came to be in Fletcher/Gin’s lives. Sophia’s past not only made me love her more but also after learning of what she has survived I can’t help it but feel a deep admiration for her for surviving, and for Jo-Jo for being there for her and understand and accept what Sophia needed when she needed it.

As with previous books Heart of Venom is action packed with fight scenes that will make you bite your nails and tension that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

The villains are twisted and so well written that is impossible not to hate them and wish them a very slow and painful death under Gin’s professional hands. My only problem here is that for many books it’s say that Gin is a very strong elemental, one of the stronger ever to exist, but over and over her elemental magic gets overpower by others allegedly not that strong. This is something that I don’t understand, if she the strongest or isn’t she?

I know the question of the year about this book is Owen and Gin’s relationship. Did things get fixed between them or did they finally end it? The only thing I can say without giving spoilers away is that I don't hate Owen anymore, but still I don't love him as I did once. He hasn’t won me over, but he's on the right track.
I really liked Gin’s reaction to Owen’s words/actions. It shows the strong and smart woman she is.

Another thing that kind of bothered me in Heart of Venom was that Finn has come to play a second place in Gin’s life. He used to be her brother, partner and all around always in her life. Now sadly others have usurped that spot. I miss Finn and what he brought to the story; I can only hope this changes in future books.

Since the moment M.M. Monroe was mention couple of books ago we been waiting to learn more about him/her, sadly in this installment he/she is just mention in passing. What is said is worrying but we won’t know anything else until two books from now because next book in the series, The Spider, will be a prequel story about Gin’s first years and how she came to be the famous assassin The Spider.

I can honestly say that I liked Heart of Venom better than previous two books in the series. Heart of Venom made me remember why I loved this series that much. If you are a fan of this series this is a book you need to read. If you haven’t read this series this is not a book to start with, these books need to be read in order.
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

Jennifer Estepprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fornaro, TanjaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,268,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible