The Silent Wife: A Novel by A. S. A.…

The Silent Wife: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by A. S. A. Harrison (Author)

Member:JSBancroft
Title:The Silent Wife: A Novel
Authors:A. S. A. Harrison (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2013), Edition: 1St Edition, 326 pages
Rating:***

The Silent Wife by A. S. A Harrison (2013)

English (95)  Galician (1)  All (96)
THE SILENT WIFE
A. S. A. Harrison

MY RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️▫️▫️
PUBLISHER Penguin Books
PUBLISHED June 25, 2013

SUMMARY
Jodi and Todd are plodding along in their lives, and in their 20 year marriage. They have a beautiful waterfront condo in Chicago. Jodi is a part-time psychologist, and she cooks and keeps an immaculate house for Todd. She loves her daily routine. Todd is a property developer. He drives a Porsche, wears a Rolex, and is a habitual cheater. He is turned on by practically every woman in his life.

Jodi -the silent wife - is in serious denial of Todd's cheating. Perhaps she even accepting of his occasional dalliances. They don't mean anything. It's just Todd. But now, Todd's cheating has gotten him more than even he bargained for. Natasha is a young college coed who has set her sights on Todd. Todd is her father's best friend since childhood. Natasha, winds up pregnant and wants a quick church wedding. Natasha's father, Dean is livid and furious with Todd.

Jodi is still in denial even though Todd has moved out. She knows she can get him back. After all, they've been together 20 years. But things quickly start spinning out of control for both Jodi and Todd.

Favorite quote: "It's the daily patterns that make a marriage, the habits that you fall into as a couple. They become a kind of background rhythm for your life."

REVIEW
The Silent Wife was good. The characters were well developed. While you may not like Jodi and Todd as people, you knew exactly who they were. The book creatively alternates the point of view of the story between Jodi and Todd, referred to as Her and Him. I really thought this worked well for this book, giving us both sides of the story.

The pacing is a little slow. Just like Jodi and Todd's marriage, it plods along. But I kept reading. and am glad I finished the book. It has great insights into relationships and marriage and what not to do.

I listened to the audio version of The Silent Wife and thought the two narrators Donald Corren and Karen White, did a great job with making the characters come to life. ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Sep 10, 2017 |
Not the gripping "thriller" I expected. Rather dull, really. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
This was OK but I don't think I was in the right mood for it. After a tough week in work, I needed something light and this wasn't - unlikeable characters and a daft end. And although it's a relatively short book, I got bored at about the halfway point. Oh well - next! ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 12, 2017 |
I wrote this a while back but somehow it ended up in comments, not the review section so I moved it here:

I really enjoyed this well-written psychological thriller. Don't go into it believing the media hype that's it's another Gone Girl or you'll be disappointed. There are similarities in that the story is told in alternating "Her & Him" chapters, the unlikable characters are emotionally/psychologically flawed, and revenge is involved. OK, that sounds like a lot of similarities but this story unfolds at a more leisurely, almost contemplative pace. The psychologically complex interior life of Todd and Jodi pulled me in right away and was the reason I kept reading despite the absence of a sympathetic character.

Sadly, that author died before her book was published. I would have loved to have seen what she would have published next.(less) ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Better than The Luckiest Girl Alive, but Pretty Baby was better if we're going through that "Gone Girl" genre. Very introspective and a lot of time spent on character reflections. ( )
  ncruse37 | Feb 8, 2017 |
To Jonathan
It's early September. Jodi Brett is in her kitchen, making dinner.
. . . . it's not the event itself but how you respond to it that tells the story.

A chilling psychological thriller about a marriage, a way of life, and how far one woman will go to keep what is rightfully hers

Jodi and Todd are at a bad place in their marriage. Much is at stake, including the affluent life they lead in their beautiful waterfront condo in Chicago, as she, the killer, and he, the victim, rush haplessly toward the main event. He is a committed cheater. She lives and breathes denial. He exists in dual worlds. She likes to settle scores. He decides to play for keeps. She has nothing left to lose. Told in alternating voices, The Silent Wife is about a marriage in the throes of dissolution, a couple headed for catastrophe, concessions that can’t be made, and promises that won’t be kept. Expertly plotted and reminiscent of Gone Girl and These Things Hidden, The Silent Wife ensnares the reader from page one and does not let go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:59 -0400)

Todd Gilbert and Jodie Brett are in a bad place in their relationship. They've been together for twenty-eight years, and with no children to worry about there has been little to disrupt their affluent Chicago lifestyle. But there has also been little to hold it together, and beneath the surface lie ever-widening cracks. When it becomes clear that their precarious world could disintegrate at any moment, Jodie knows she stands to lose everything. It's only now she will discover just how much she's truly capable of.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,848,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible