The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up by Jacob M.…

The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up

by Jacob M. Appel

The story of your everyday neighbor, the one with the awesome garden, you know them right? Well, imagine this neighbor goes to a Yankee’s game and doesn’t stand up for a patriotic song. Now inject this seemingly ordinary act with media frenzy and give it a Jacob Appel twist and you are in for an entertaining read.

Despite this book having been published in 2014, it still remains incredibly relevant today, given the recent kneeling during the National Anthem and other media outrages. You can’t help but feel like this story could have happened to anyone. I enjoyed uncovering the MANY themes the author, Jacob Appel, intertwined within the book, including the pressure being in the spotlight can place on a person, a look at whether spouses should fully support your EVERY decision, how far the media will go and how inevitably we succumb to the labels placed on us. Whether these themes were intentional or not, it certainly caused me, as the reader, pause.
In keeping with the writing style witnessed in The Mask of Sanity, Jacob Appel provides an entertaining read with story lines you want to laugh at but subsequently cry at how plausible it could all be.

See the full review at https://fortheloveofthepageblog.wordpress.com/ ( )
  JillRey | Sep 2, 2017 |
I received this as a LibraryThing Member GiveAway extra.
  BridgitDavis | Aug 11, 2017 |
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

As usual, Appel's characters are always so unique and eccentric and I loved all of them.

The only thing I didn't quite like was how absurd it got in the middle/end. It went a little too crazy.

Overall, I enjoyed it and it was another solid work of fiction from Appel. ( )
  jessicadelellis | May 29, 2017 |
This is a book I have been wanting to read for some time and the author was kind enough to send to me. My initial interest in it was, having read the synopsis, that it followed along the same theme as Melville's Bartleby, the Scrivener. Which, it does to some extent: A mild-mannered man standing up for something he believes in, with the results being likened to an anarchist and the whole situation being blown way out of proportion by those around him (sadly, this often being the case when standing up for one's principles or rights).
But Appel's takes a more humorous approach, taking the reader on the wild chase with [the main character] Arnold Brinkman. Just when Brinkman thinks it cannot get any worse, Murphy's Law kicks in every time, and you find yourself wondering what else can go wrong for him?

An enjoyable read! ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | Mar 19, 2017 |
What an outrageous story! It kept me turning pages but the end grew more ludicrous, and yet, it seems the book is meant to be satire on post 9/11 life in America. Today something in the morning news said "and it still is". We blow up minor things to crazy proportions, and then, the news, instead of reporting real world news, reports our crazy responses. The story was spot on regarding that. As usual, Mr. Appel's astute observations of human nature shine through. I didn't like this story line as much as most of the author's work, but it's twisted path kept my attention. You know these people are out there.

Arnold, a quiet botanist living in New York with his wife, tending his carfully manicured garden behind his home, is forced to take a young relative to a baseball game. Arnold refuses to stand for the National Anthem, to the dismay of his young relative, and stadium cameras zero in on him. He sticks out his tongue. That's the beginning of his problems and the start of a wild, ragged ride that shatters the bontanist's world. It's absurd and fun, and funny. It would make a hilarious movie.

Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
One thing led to another.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,687,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible