Brewster : a novel by Mark Slouka

Brewster : a novel (edition 2013)

by Mark Slouka

Still reeling from the death of his older brother, a sixteen-year-old track star befriends a street-fighting rebel and together they search for redemption amidst the social changes of 1968.
Member:SandyDavenport
Title:Brewster : a novel
Authors:Mark Slouka
Info:New York : W. W. Norton & Company, 2013.
Collections:Finished

Work Information

Brewster by Mark Slouka

Townie by Andre III Dubus (eenerd)
    eenerd: Another gritty bildungsroman

English (16)  Italian (1)  All languages (17)
Brewster is a painful, coming-of-age story about three teens caught in the tumultuous times of the late 60s. I also graduated from high school in 1969, so I can relate to this era of music, drug use, the horror of the Vietnam war, and Woodstock. Set in a small town in New York, Jon Mosher, a potential track star, takes us through his vulnerable years of high school where passion and hormones rage. Jon lives with parents that were emotionally flat-lined by the death of his brother when Jon was four. Still, he manages to become the adult in the room at home and for his best friend, Ray Cappicciano. The latter secretly lives with the horrifying reality of physical abuse while displaying a vulnerability that completely broke my heart. Mark Slouka's writing is witty, to-the-point, and refreshing. I loved this book and will look for more by this author. ( )
  PaulaGalvan | Dec 3, 2020 |
Well written and moving story of four young adults struggling to find their way in late 1960s America. ( )
  Gary10 | Oct 6, 2017 |
This is a beautifully written book. Every sentence flowed effortlessly into the next and the character development was superb. Simply a fantastic read. Loved it. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
A spare and melancholy reflection of the lives of two high school friends during the 1960s. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
An excellent portrayal of adolescent boys coming to grips with their impossible families through their friendship against a backdrop of the Vietnam War and the late '60's. ( )
  snash | Jun 17, 2015 |
Awake, arise or be for ever fall'n. - Milton
To my father, Zdenek Slouka, who was a runner once,
and who finished his race the day after I finished this book.
I didn't believe a heart so big could ever stop.

The baton has passed, Dad.
May I run my time half as well.
The first time I saw him fight was right in front of the school, winter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,227,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible