Greater Than Rubies: Novella inspired by The…

Greater Than Rubies: Novella inspired by The Jewel Trilogy (edition 2013)

by Hallee Bridgeman

Series: The Jewel Series (3)

From his cultured handsome looks to his vast fortune, Antonio "Tony" Viscolli is every red-blooded American girl's dream match. Robin comes from a blistering past, struggling and fighting for the survival of herself and her two younger half-sisters in a cold, cruel world. By the time Tony thaws her heart, she has known hunger, poverty, violence, and want. Robin never had a chance to dream of a white wedding gown or a prince charming. Instead, her dreams were nightmares dark and clouded with fear and desperation.For months, Tony courted the blond beauty with the sapphire eyes. He teased Robin and pursued her. He showered with attention, respect, and charm. He covered her in diamonds, sapphires, and rubies. Tony satisfied every heart's desire. Finally, Robin came to understand God's love for her as imitated by the unconditional love Tony freely offered. Then, on a sunny Florida beach, Tony proposed and Robin eagerly said "Yes!"Back in bitter cold Boston, doubts about becoming a billionaire's bride begin to crowd out her hopes for happiness. Having no experience facing these challenges, Robin struggles to cope.As the date draws inexorably near and the pressure mounts, Robin begins to grasp the scale of her fiancé's vast material wealth and holdings, the responsibilities of the virtual empire he commands. She witnesses his generosity when he takes on a young protégé straight from the tough South Boston streets.Ultimately, Robin questions whether she is truly the girl of Tony's dreams. Is she the woman God has made for him? In taking her on as a wife, would she act as helpmeet or poison apple? In truly loving Tony, would it be better to bind herself to him for all eternity or return his freedom? When her nightmares return in full force, they remind Robin of an even deeper and more terrifying prospect. Will she give in to her insecurities and cancel Boston's "Royal Wedding" for good? Or,with God's guidance, will Tony sacrifice everything to prove to his beloved Robin her true worth?… (more)
Member:Sugarpeach

Author: Hallee Bridgeman
Pages: 198
Year: 2012
Publisher: Olivia Kimbrell Press
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org
Greater Than Rubies is a novella that continues the storyline started in Sapphire Ice, both authored by Hallee Bridgeman. First, let me share about the author. Hallee Bridgeman has two websites that share her passions, http://www.bridgemanfamily.com/hallee/ (shares about her novels and cooking); the other site is http://www.halleethehomemaker.com/ (of course the title of the site helps you understand her second passion). Hallee Bridgeman is a very personal author, writer and homemaker whose passion is for others to meet Christ personally. To learn more about this wonderful woman whom I have had the pleasure of recently meeting via the Book Club Network, Inc., visit her websites and connect with her, perhaps even send her a message!
Now, let me tell you about the novella. Robin and Tony are preparing for their wedding while continuing to keep their lives focused on Christ. Prayer is the instant lifeline used as well as reaching out to other people and helping them establish new lives in Christ; it also provides employment to pay for their living expenses. Robin is helping her dad, whom she just met, get employment until his sentencing hearing in a few months. Tony has reached out to a youth from his old stomping grounds, inviting him to live with Tony, work and become established in a new life rather than living on the streets.
There is so much more to the story to accompany a wonderfully written theme about redemption and God’s eternal love. As I read, I thought of the Song of Solomon and Hosea, both of which share a unique aspect of the character and heart of God. I loved how the novel shares the sacrifice each man and woman make when they come to the altar and become one in Christ.
The novels are written with the truth of the Word, and the reality that we all come to Christ broken. Another truth shared is that while we may not meet our own standards in life or others’, it reminds us that the only One we need to please is God. Redemption is major thread woven in each page as well as the characters created and portrayed in both Sapphire Ice followed by Greater Then Rubies.
The depth, width and breath of God’s amazing, unconditional and everlasting love can be found in these stories written to encourage readers as they turn each page. Perhaps after you read the aforementioned books, God will bring someone to mind that may need to read and know about God. If the Lord does that, please obey the Spirit and share His truth with that person.
My rating is 5+ stars.
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lamb521 | Jul 25, 2013 |
Remember what I saw in my last post about Robin growing onto me the more I read Sapphire Ice? Well, midway through reading Greater Than Rubies, I was more than prepared to retract that statement. Was I mad when she made the choice to let her fears dictate her life? Yes, definitely. It took me awhile to get past my annoyance and see that while most brides get wedding jitters, Robin's fears goes farther than just wedding jitters. I also realized that while most brides get wedding jitters, Robin's is somewhat different as she is marrying a famous industry magnate, the cream of the crop, so to speak.

Greater Than Rubies is the sequel to Sapphire Ice. There are the same characters, but the major difference is that now, Robin is engaged to Tony. While they still face problems similar to the problems they faced in Sapphire Ice, in this sequel, they learn to face them and make the decision whether to conquer or submit to them.

While everything was in the third point-of-view throughout the book, there were gaps when the third point-of-view did not sufficiently illustrate and describe a character's thoughts. For example, although Robin's fears were portrayed in a realistic manner and I could grasp the enormity of them just based on the descriptions of her emotions and thoughts, it wasn't so when she made her final decision. I wanted to know what she was thinking, what was going through her mind when she made her decision and gave her conditions, but unfortunately, readers weren't given that view.

The more I get to know Tony's character, the more I like him. It's easy to see why Robin fell in love with him! For him, a billionaire, to trust a homeless teenage guy, clothe him, and bring him into his home, that takes a lot and speaks volumes about Tony's character. Being a philanthropist like many rich people are nowadays is one thing, walking the talk and actively participating in changing a life of a person is another.

I liked the way a major problem is suddenly thrown into the story more than halfway through it. Of course, it'll be great if there was a plot twist earlier, but better late than never, right? The pace of the story in the first half lulls you into a false sense of security (that is, if you didn't read the story's blurb before reading the story) and then suddenly throws a big obstacle right out of nowhere. It makes you wonder if the story will have a happily ever after ending or a sad ending.

Conclusion: The story is more or less evenly paced. It gives us a peak into what it's like to have wedding jitters. Like in the previous book, there are parts where conversations are little "preachy". Despite that, there are some real lessons to be garnered from reading Greater Than Rubies.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author through The Book Club Network review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  Sugarpeach | Jun 19, 2013 |

Hallee Bridgeman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,220,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible