El maestro del Prado: y las pinturas…

El maestro del Prado: y las pinturas proféticas (edition 2013)

by Javier Sierra

"New York Times bestselling author Javier Sierra takes you on a grand tour of the Prado museum in this historical novel that illuminates the fascinating mysteries behind European art--complete with gorgeous, full-color inserts of artwork by da Vinci, Boticelli, and other master artists" --
Member:bibliovaldejaen
Title:El maestro del Prado: y las pinturas proféticas
Authors:Javier Sierra
Info:Editorial Planeta (2013), Edición: 1º ed. 1º imp, Perfect Paperback

The Master of the Prado by Javier Sierra

Spanish (12)  English (3)  All languages (15)
I didn't finish this book and that is why I bumped it up to two stars. Maybe something well-written or interesting happened in the 180 pages I did not read. I am a Spanish major who studied in Madrid and took classes at the Prado during my time at the Complutense (all discussed in this book) and it was still so boring to me, I couldn't finish it. This book is almost a miracle- how is it possible to have many characters and no story? Many places but no setting? Maybe this book is a true work of art- but it's not something I could see. I felt like I was watching a painting show on tv where the guy paints for hours and then they turn the canvas around to reveal the painting and it's a stick figure holding a stick ice cream cone. My adored Prado and my beloved Madrid deserve a better book than this! ( )
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |
Mayores de 18 años
  Alba26 | Aug 26, 2019 |
2.5 stars

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Javier Sierra's The Master of the Prado, but whatever it was, it certainly wasn't this. The Master of the Prado sounded, from the publisher's description, as if it were the literary equivalent of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, featuring a protagonist who discovers historical and supernatural mysteries hidden in plain sight in paintings by Old Masters. In The Master of the Prado, those artists include Raphael, Sandro Botticelli, Titian, Hieronymus Bosch, Brueghel the Elder, and El Greco, along with the lesser known Sebastiano del Piombo, Ambrogio Bergognone, Bernandino Luini, and Juan de Juanes.

The book contains beautiful full-color reproductions of the works Sierra discusses with his enigmatic guide Dr. Fovel, which show up magnificently even on an e-reader. Unfortunately for a novel, however, the paintings are the highlight. The prose is pedantic - the visual analog of the stereotypical art history professor's drone in a darkened classroom; while I learned a couple of interesting things about Renaissance imagery, this is not why I pick up a novel.

Sierra ably summarizes the entire 294-page book (excluding endnotes) in a single paragraph on page 184:

"I now thought of [some of the paintings in the Prado] as tools built by extremely sensitive minds not at all concerned with achieving mere aesthetic pleasure. I'd begun to convince myself that the larger purpose behind these paintings - where their true meaning lay - had always been to keep open certain portals to the "other world." It was as if the art was simply keeping alive its original mystical mission dating back to the cave paintings in northern Spain some forty thousand years before. If Fovel was right, this was a secret that only those painters had known, perhaps along with some of their patrons. And now me."

If that paragraph intrigues you, then by all means pick up a copy of The Master of the Prado; if not, the official museum guide published by the Prado is cheaper and can be purchased from its website.

I received a free copy of The Master of the Prado through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  BrandieC | Nov 27, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,498,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible