Thin Space by Jody Casella

Thin Space (edition 2013)

by Jody Casella (Author)

Consumed by guilt and secrets about his twin brother's death, Marsh Windsor is looking for a thin space--a place where the barrier between this world and the next is thin enough for a person to cross over--in hopes of setting things right.
Member:radioactivebookworm
Title:Thin Space
Authors:Jody Casella (Author)
Info:Simon Pulse/Beyond Words (2013), 256 pages
Collections:Read and Reviewed
Rating:*****

Thin Space by Jody Casella

After losing his twin brother in a car accident where he was driving, Marsh has completely lost himself in his grief. Obsessed with an old story from an even older neighbour who’s long gone, he finds himself constantly looking for the perfect spot for a “thin space”, or a place where he can cross over to the other side to talk to someone lost to the world. He just wants to talk to him one last time and make things ight. But after wandering around barefoot for months, it’s starting to get cold, and he’s starting to lost hope.

Check out my full review here!

https://radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com/2021/10/13/book-review-thin-space-b... ( )
  radioactivebookworm | Oct 13, 2021 |
I wanted to love this book SO BAD. I mean, the concept of it is amazing. Who out there would not try and find a thin space to see a lost loved one? Unfortunately, the execution fell flat for me.

Alright, you can go now. No need to read the rest of the review. Jking.

The first issue I had was the bare feet. Does this count as a spoiler? I don’t think so. It doesn’t ruin any of the book, it’s just an integral part of the plot. In order to find a thin space, you have to be able to touch it with your bare toesies. Which makes complete sense to me. So he doesn’t miss finding a thin space, Marsh walks around bare foot. All. The. Time. To school, to the mall, in the middle of winter. All. The. Time. And I get that the adults want to let him grieve, but I don’t think in reality, people would let a kid walk around with no shoes on. I would assume the school would have had to send him home, at the very least. I know my parents wouldn’t have accepted it.

I wanted to like both Marsh and Maddie, but I didn’t feel connected to either of them. I’ve never gone through the type of grief and guilt that Marsh was experiencing, but his attitude towards life was a little much for me to handle. I liked the blooming friendship between him and Maddie (the girl who moves into the house with a thin space) but I didn’t really get a good sense of her. She was just kind of there.

Also, how Marsh knows about thin spaces just seems a little too coincidental for me. He learns about them then BAM, his brother is dead. The timing on that is just a little too perfect.

And finally, the ending. This was weird for me. I actually liked the ending, but I walked away going “that’s it?”. Maybe because I was basically done by this point, but I would have liked it if this whole part was a lot bigger. It’s twisty and I like it.

I mean overall, it wasn’t a HORRIBLE book. I read the entire thing, which is saying something since I’ve DNF’ed a couple of books lately. I’m trying not to push myself into reading things that don’t catch my full attention. So if it interests you, pick it up.

Just set your expectations low and maybe you’ll be blown away. ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
A suspenseful sci-fi novel with some great twists and turns! Marshall lost his twin brother Austin 3 months ago in a car accident; Marsh was driving, and is wracked with guilt as well as grief. Ever since, he has been walking around in bare feet, a rather unusual way to grieve, his parents think--but it's because he is determined to find a "thin space." This would be a spot, hard to see, where the barrier between our world and the next is thinner, so the living can enter the world of the dead. Marsh desperately wants to speak to his brother again, but not necessarily for the reasons you might think. He meets Maddie, a girl his age who moves in next door, and this complicates his search for a thin space because he is sure there is one in her house; but how can he get inside to search without revealing to her his mad quest? I can't talk too much about this book for fear of spoiling too much; it's just a really cool and clever book! It's suspenseful, dark, and keeps you guessing; an excellent psychological study of survivor's guilt, with a supernatural bent. Ohio author. ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
I won't rehash what the book is actually about here, because plenty of people have already reviewed. I thought the premise of the book was actually pretty awesome. You can escape into these thin spaces and see the people you love? Resolve issues? And ghosts can come through the other way? Creepy and cool! It had just the right amount of sci-fi without getting technical enough that it could be picked apart. I finished it quickly, but I'm giving it 4 stars (instead of 5) because I found the writing inconsistent. There would be passages that were superbly written, followed by some that were filled with mush and filler without getting any real point across. However, this wasn't enough to stop me from reading (and provided some real skimming opportunities) and I finished it in a day. I look forward to seeing what else she comes up with! ( )
  LaurenAileen | Jul 28, 2014 |
This review first posted on Book.Blog.Bake.

I started reading this book on March 22, 2013. I finished on May 6th. For the month and a half I was “reading” this novel, I was thoroughly uncaptivated by the story Casella was telling, which is a shame, because it’s actually fairly well-written, and it’s gotten really glowing reviews. It’s become one of those instances were I wonder if I read the same book as everyone else, because I found Thin Space poorly paced and the middle section of the novel dragged for me enough that I considered not finishing it. Ultimately, I’m glad I did, but I had quite a few issues with Thin Space.

If this novel was being rated on the last 10% of the story alone, it would be a solid five stars. The ending has everything I ever want in a incredible novel– a great twist(even if I saw it coming), emotions so intensely catatheric without being sentimental, and a feeling of firm resolution without everything being wrapped up in a neat bow. I love books about siblings probably more than any other relationship, and the ending delivered on that.

However, there was quite a bit of words I struggled through before I reached that 90% mark. Mainly, I was just bored. The mystery in this book didn’t seem much like a mystery to me, as much as I love the idea of a teenage boy who has lost his brother trying to find a thin space. For the most part, Marsh’s character fell flat for me, and the twist that comes at the end is fairly easy to spot if you’ve been paying attention. The plot in the middle of the book consists mainly of Marsh and Maddie, the girl mentioned in the summary, walking around without shoes trying to find a thin space. There’s a lot 0f walking in this book, and not much of a destination.

Basically, this is plot summary of the book for me:

Introduction to car crash and dead twin. Marsh walks around barefoot a lot, searching for a not-very-well-described “thin space”. Marsh walks some more. He meets a girl, Maddie, who’s also dealing with things. Marsh walks around some alone. Marsh walks around some with Maddie. Marsh tries to walk around barefoot in Maddie’s house to find a thin space he “knows” is in the house. Marsh walks around some more. Plot twist, emotional impact, the end.

The dynamic between Marsh and Maddie is kinda strange. Sometimes I really liked their friendship and thought it was headed for something more, sometimes I thought there WAS something more that they were both denying, and sometimes I thought it was just a strange pairing. I normally like the whole “pair-the-misfits-together-and-show-them-they’re-not-alone” theme, but I’m not a hundred percent sure it worked for me in Thin Space.

As mentioned before, I really like sibling relationships, and that was probably the biggest aspect of Thin Space that I truly enjoyed. Obviously, one of the siblings isn’t actually present due to the car crash, but the entire story line does revolve around the twins, and Maddie and her brother Sam serve as a second story line. This wasn’t the book for me, but it wasn’t bad by any means, and I would recommend it to people who like books about siblings, about misfits, or perhaps even about journeys. This isn’t really that emotional book considering the subject, so if you read hoping for that(as I was) you’ll probably be disappointed.

Final Impression: Even though I can see the appeal of Thin Space for many readers, it did not have that same appeal for me. It had a good start and an absolutely superb ending, but unfortunately I found the majority of the book lacking in pacing, emotions, or mystery. It had a great basis with the sibling relationship as a focused, but felt lackluster to me.

Disclaimer: I was provided an advanced copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |

Jody Casella is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Beyond Words Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Editions: 1582703922, 158270435X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,465,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible