Just Above My Head by James Baldwin

Just Above My Head (original 1979; edition 2000)

by James Baldwin

The stark grief of a brother mourning a brother opens this novel with a stunning, unforgettable experience. Here, in a monumental saga of love and rage, Baldwin goes back to Harlem, to the church of his groundbreaking novel Go Tell It on the Mountain, to the homosexual passion of Giovanni's Room, and to the political fire that inflames his nonfiction work. Here, too, the story of gospel singer Arthur Montana and his family becomes both a journey into another country of the soul and senses-and a living contemporary history of black struggle in this land.… (more)
Member:LenaHorne
Title:Just Above My Head
Authors:James Baldwin
Info:Delta (2000), Paperback, 592 pages

Work Information

Just Above My Head by James Baldwin (1979)

Easily one of the best novels I have every read. ( )
  DavidCLDriedger | Apr 22, 2015 |
I'm a fan of Crunch, one of the great characters in this book. I had the great pleasure of telling that to Mr. Baldwin at a book signing. So he signed my book, "To David, a fan of Crunch, peace, JB" Quite a thrill. I've only sought an autograph on two occasions. My other autograph is from the photographer Brassai. Both men have inspired me and my work. ( )
  DavidGreene | Jul 18, 2010 |
I need to re-read this.
  glwestfall | Nov 14, 2008 |
Absolutely the best. Also recommend Go Tell It to the Mountain. Am seeking first edition; especially signed ( )
  latinobookgeek | Mar 7, 2007 |

James Baldwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hos, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,934,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible