After the Plague: and Other stories by T. C.…

After the Plague: and Other stories (2001)

by T. C. Boyle

Another stunning story collection by Boyle. He hasn't failed me yet... with even a single unenjoyable story in the first five collections. I must admit that this one is so far my least favorite of the five collections, as he focuses on modern humans with this collection rather than the environment. What makes this collection less enjoyable, is that in almost every story, the focus is on really really dark spirited humans. Or simply some of the darkest moments in mostly decent people. Not sunny reading. 'Termination Dust' is a perfect example, what you think is happening gets flipped on its head. (I also somehow remembered a name from this story that was also in 'Drop City' that I read years ago... not sure if its the same character but the scenario also seemed to be one from the book. Possibly the story inspired the novel. But the story is perfect as is. Drop City is fantastic too.) The most positive story might be 'The Underground Gardens' which I'm just now learning was based on a real person who dug tunnels and a house underground. What was going on with Mr. Boyle while writing these? As usual, the writing on a sentence level, couldn't be better. I like all of these stories equally, but if I had to pick two favorites: 'Going Down' and 'Termination Dust'. 'Going Down' has fantastic bits of a sci-fi book the character is reading, which makes me wonder why Boyle doesn't like genre? There definitely isn't a bad story in the bunch. Just many many bad events. This is my least favorite of his five short story collections so far, but it's still a solid book. ( )
  booklove2 | Dec 26, 2018 |
I got tired of these stories. The theme is that society and human beings are terrible and it’s hammered away at relentlessly. Men are assholes and women are sex kittens, hopeless idiots or bitches. The hero of almost every story is an irritable jerk who’s self-righteously outraged at the foul behaviour of all the rest of humanity. It gets boring and makes you feel gross after awhile.

I thought the title story “After the Plague”, right at the end of the book, might be different, but no - irritable jerk, bitch and sex kitten in same old pattern. ( )
  EnidaV | Nov 21, 2018 |
Excellent for a short story collection in that every selection was entertaining - not a dud in the lot. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
After the Plague is a nice collection of short stories. Boyle certainly knows how to string words together to make them sound amazing. But about halfway through (if not earlier) I started to grow a little tired of the invariably masculine point of view. Even when Boyle writes from a woman’s perspective (which is rare enough), it’s somehow still obsessed with men/masculinity. While I do find that an interesting topic, a little more variation would have been nice.

On my blog I talk about each short story separately: http://kalafudra.com/2016/02/02/after-the-plague-t-c-boyle/ ( )
1 vote kalafudra | Feb 3, 2016 |
The stories in After the plague never had any appeal to me, and I thoroughly loathed reading this collection of short stories. ( )
  edwinbcn | Oct 14, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142001414, Paperback)

Hailed as one of the best short story writers of his generation, T.C. Boyle presents sixteen stories--nine of which appeared in The New Yorker--that highlight the evolving excellence of his inventive, modern, and wickedly witty style. In After the Plague, Boyle exhibits his maturing themes through an amazing array of subjects in a range of emotional keys. He taps today's headlines, from air rage ("Friendly Skies") to abortion doctors ("Killing Babies"), and delves into more naturalistic themes of quiet power and passion, from a tale of first love ("The Love of My Life") to a story about confronting old age ("Rust"). Combining joy and humor with the dark, intense scenarios that Boyle's audience has come to love, After the Plague reveals a writer at the top of his form.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

The author's sixth collection of short stories displays his wide-ranging interests in everything from abortion doctors to air rage.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,475,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible