Kissing in Manhattan by David Schickler

Kissing in Manhattan (original 2001; edition 2002)

by David Schickler

Hilarious, sexy, and deeply tender, Kissing in Manhattan was one of the most celebrated debuts in recent years. Acclaimed author David Schickler’s collection of linked stories follows a troupe of love-hungry urbanites through a charmed metropolis and into the Preemption--a mythic Manhattan apartment building. The Preemption sets the stage for a romantic fantasy as exuberant, dark, and dazzling as the city it occupies. Behind closed doors, the paths of an improbable cast of tenants--a seductive perfume heiress; a crabby, misunderstood actor; a preternaturally sharp-sighted priest--tangle and cross, while a perilous love triangle builds around three characters: James Branch, a shy young accountant with an unusual love for the Preemption’s antique elevator, and a strange destiny... Patrick Rigg, a Wall Street lothario who soothes his pain by seducing beautiful women, carrying a gun, and attending the nightly sermons of a foreboding priest... Rally McWilliams, a fetching, hopeful young writer who roams the city at night, searching for the soulmate she believes in but can’t find... Charged with joy and a deadly sense of humor, Kissing in Manhattan is a daring new writer’s vision of a world where men and women, good and evil, love and sex, meet, battle, and embrace on every street corner.… (more)
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Kissing in Manhattan
Authors:David Schickler
Info:Dial Press Trade Paperback (2002), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Fiction

Kissing in Manhattan by David Schickler (2001)

Recently added byRobert_Musil, private library, RitaCh, SleepySheep, js31550, EmilyW916, palindrome80

An apartment building in Manhattan linked the characters of the various stories of this book. The characters and plot were not quite believable and much of the sex too violent for my taste. ( )
  snash | Dec 31, 2018 |
Loved it. It's very different- comprised of a collection of short stories that all overlap each other. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Mr.Schickler is a clever, insightful fellow wise beyond his years. An unusual but compelling book about male/female relationships in the late 20th century - in a seemingly decadent Manhattan society - yet, he is positive and empathetic - the book is filled with marvelous characterizations and intertwined story lines - not a perfect novel but well worth reading. Schickler has real talent and he employs many intelligent and interesting phrases. ("radical decency".) ( )
  BayanX | Jan 13, 2015 |
I found this dissapointing overall. I read it for my book group/duo and the other member commented it was more like a series of studies for a novel. I just started disliking most of the characters and their painfully rich and disturbed Manhattan lives. It was clever and interesting how he connected up some of the stories and characters but not enough so that is became a cohesive entire novel. I felt more duty bound to finish Manhattan, I didn't really worry too much about who might end up with whom and if Patrick Rigg would turn out to be a great guy or die or whatever. Actually, the last two chapter/stories turned out to be the most cohesive and I wish the begining had been a little bit more thought through. I disliked Patrick as well, also took a swift and visceral dislike to Checkers, who, thankfully, almost never reappeared. I'm not sure I would have liked it more if had been fleshed out and turned into a proper novel but perhaps I would have felt less annoyed while reading it. Perhaps all the little bits of pseudo magic realism would have felt less intrusive as well. Think this is bound for BookCrossing.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
"The Smoker" is brilliant and delightful. The rest, not so much. I found the characters unbelievable and the writing to be uneven--there's a limit to the number of times I can hear a man described as having "sleepy blue eyes and straight teeth" by different narrative voices. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
When two kisses kiss, it's like two tigers talking about infinity with their teeth. - Tess Gallagher
with thanks and love to my parents Jack and Peggy Schikler and to my three sisters Anne Marie, Pamela, and Jeanne
Donna didn't want to meet Checkers. It didn't seem right.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible