Practical Common Lisp by Peter Seibel

Practical Common Lisp (edition 2005)

by Peter Seibel

* Treats LISP as a language for commercial applications, not a language for academic AI concerns. This could be considered to be a secondary text for the Lisp course that most schools teach . This would appeal to students who sat through a LISP course in college without quite getting it - so a "nostalgia" approach, as in "wow-lisp can be practical..." * Discusses the Lisp programming model and environment. Contains an introduction to the language and gives a thorough overview of all of Common Lisp's main features. * Designed for experienced programmers no matter what languages they may be coming from and written for a modern audience--programmers who are familiar with languages like Java, Python, and Perl. * Includes several examples of working code that actually does something useful like Web programming and database access.… (more)
Member:petrounias
Title:Practical Common Lisp
Authors:Peter Seibel
Info:Apress (2005), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 500 pages

Practical Common Lisp by Peter Seibel

I thought it was a pretty great book on Lisp, although it's hard to distinguish how much of this is from the elegance of the language itself, my understanding of computer languages in an abstract sense, or the writer's ability to put together a sticky and comprehensive tutorial.

I certainly didn't feel like this book went overlong, as many tutorials so. Every chapter felt really short, and explained everything relatively tersely. The author seemed happy to talk about theory and esoteric concerns in the footnotes, which I chose to read and sometimes become overwhelmed by, but this was an option I had.

While the book is organized well as a primer, it is somewhat overwhelming in that functions are just thrown at you in related groups for each chapter. Having read through this book once has taught me the basics of the language but hasn't necessarily taught me how to *think* in LISP (the way [b:Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!|6905041|Land of LISP Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!|Conrad Barski|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1403198191l/6905041._SX50_.jpg|7129234] seems to be approaching it. That being said, when I finally say "I should really get familiar with doing X in Lisp" I will probably know exactly where in PCL to look. I have a feeling that every primary feature of Lisp is touched upon in the book, it's just a matter of retaining it and perhaps understanding the context.

It's hard for me to gauge because I have programming languages (including functional ones like Scheme) under my belt already, but if you want to learn Common Lisp I'd definitely pick up this book as one of my first. I wouldn't sweat comprehending it too much, but it would at least give me an overall view of the terrain before I went into books like Land of Lisp or other books on functional programming before coming back and constantly referencing this book as I was getting my sea legs going. ( )
  NaleagDeco | Dec 13, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,872,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible