Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman

Fortunately, the Milk (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Neil Gaiman, Skottie Young (Illustrator)

Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Fortunately, the Milk
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Skottie Young (Illustrator)
Info:New York: HarperCollins, 2013
Tags:Children's literature, wl2014

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman (Author) (2013)

English (144)  German (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (149)
You know what it's like when your mum goes away on a business trip and Dad's in charge. She leaves a really, really long list of what he's got to do. And the most important thing is DON'T FORGET TO GET THE MILK. Unfortunately, Dad forgets. So the next morning, before breakfast, he has to go to the corner shop, and this is the story of why it takes him a very, very long time to get back.
Featuring: Professor Steg (a time-travelling dinosaur), some green globby things, the Queen of the Pirates, the famed jewel that is the Eye of Splod, some wumpires, and a perfectly normal but very important carton of milk. ( )
  AccyP | Mar 2, 2019 |
Neil Gaiman himself narrates this fantastical story of a dad going to the corner shop to get milk for his children's breakfast (and his tea) and why it took him such a long time to come back: green globby aliens, pirates, a stegosaurus in a hot air balloon, some people who worship Splod, a volcano, ponies, and wumpires. And of course a little hiccup in the space-time continuum. Fun to listen to; not sure quite how much of it the 3yo grasped, but she liked the funny parts. ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 28, 2019 |
Read this with my son today. He loved it. He wanted to read it again. Great book that is funny and imaginative story of why dad took so long to get milk for breakfast. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
This was delightful, and everything I've come to expect from Gaiman. A must-have for the home library. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Our gang all enjoyed this yarn but feel that Mrs Gaiman on her return should check out how long Neil was chatting to the girl on the checkout when he bought the milk, 'cos we don't believe a word of it.
Further . . . How did Chris Riddell the artist manage to draw all the characters so well if he wasn’t there on the adventure? (Very fishy) Us boys all fell in love with MAD MATILDA the girl buccaneer, even though we only have a glimpse of her in the rigging on the pirate ship in the story. Does she have a fan club? Five stars. ( )
  Novak | Nov 23, 2018 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, SkottieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my late father, David, who would have told the tale with delight, and for my son, Michael, who would never have believed a word of it.

With love.

--N.G.
For my dad, who was a teller of stories and a maker of laughs. I miss you like crazy.

--S.Y.
There was only orange juice in the fridge.

"I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner store, and heard a noise like this: thummthumm. I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road."

"Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. And then something odd happened."

Find out just how odd things get in this hilarious story of time travel and breakfast cereal, expertly told by Newbery Medaliost and bestselling author Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Skottie Young.

[from the jacket]

AR Level 4.3, 1 pt

While picking up milk for his children's cereal, a father is abducted by aliens and finds himself on a wild adventure through time and space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,181,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible