Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple,…

Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss

by Jillian Michaels

"Biggest Loser" trainer Jillian Michaels offers a no-nonsense, insider's plan to stop battling your weight and slim down for life.Stop battling your weight and slim down for life with this no-nonsense, insider's plan from America's health, wellness, and weight-loss guru! Michaels has helped millions lose weight and feel great, and now she can help you, too. No nonsense, no gimmicks, just actionable advice that gets incredible results fast!… (more)

A fairly quick read that is as much workbook as it is text. I skipped over the checklists though as that's nearly impossible in ebook format. I hadn't been emotionally abused by Jillian in a while and I felt I needed her brand of ass kicking to break through on my latest and hopefully last attempt to lose the weight.

I really wouldn't call this "Insider Secrets" as you know most of this if a) you ever watched her Biggest Loser seasons and b) read any weight loss books. It's a lot of the same. What was insider, in my opinion, was how much she discussed her partner and kids. It was a little more about her than some of her previous titles have been. As always, her nothing ever gave birth to a cheeto mantra makes me laugh: https://t.co/QlcpR3msQh

I know she's a fairly prolific endorser of supplements and it was somewhat surprising to see her come out so hard against cleanses and what not even as she tried to explain why some were OK. I didn't really buy that-nor did I follow her going full hippie. Sorry, Jillian, you can keep the sugar beet shampoo. I didn't find the product names to be as irritating as others have - they're her sponsors.

If you don't like Jillian's brand of therapy, you won't like this book. She's very abrasive and tells it like it is, but you probably already know that if you're picking this up. ( )
  skinglist | Jan 12, 2016 |
Most of this is pretty obvious, but I love Jillian so I read her books. ( )
  sscarllet | Nov 20, 2014 |
I know, I rarely review non fiction, but Jillian Michael's latest book Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss, is one I definitely wanted to read. I have struggled with my weight for many years - up and down, up and down. I've reached the point where I am making the commitment to yes, watch my weight, but more importantly to be healthy.

There are soooo many diet, weight loss and health books on the market today and it's really difficult to know who or what information you can trust. And, I guess that's why I wanted to read Michaels' book - because in my eyes, she is trustworthy, she has a proven track record and although I don't know her and will never meet her, I just, well, like her. So I wanted to hear what she had to say.

"Bottom line, over the last several years, I've come to recognize that the more simple and straightforward I can make the information, the easier it is for you to cut through all the crap, apply the advice, and get the results you want."

I've had this book for a few weeks now, but found it was easier to take a piece of information or an idea, try to apply it to my life and only then go back for more, rather than trying to do it all at once (and expecting results in seven days or less ;) ) And Michaels herself says you don't have to follow all the strategies - pick and choose what works for you. Each chapter ends with a checklist that you can use to decide what tips will work for you. It's also a great reminder.

The first chapter was a great refresher on the basics.

-Clean out the cupboards. If it's not there, you can't eat it.

-Write down what you eat - it's there in black and white. Of course I've heard of this, but have I ever followed through before? This time - yes - accountability is hard to ignore. (and you won't have to do it 'forever'.

-Don't eat chemicals "If it didn't come from the ground or the ocean of have a mother - don't eat it."

-Sit down to eat. (and many, many more!)

Chapter 2 - get moving! Again, short sweet and to the point. (And did you know that simply increasing the incline on your treadmill will result in a significant calorie burn without increasing your speed?) Chapter 3 - hitting the grocery store,additives, smart choices and more. I was surprised to find cleaning and personal care products discussed as well. Chapter 4 - parties, work, restaurants, travelling etc.

Chapter 5 - Now here's the chapter I spent the most time on - reading and re reading. Because this is where I fall down. Staying motivated. This was one of the best chapters of the book for me. The last few chapters deal with hints, tips and more ideas. Scattered throughout the book are 'slim myth boxes' that dispel notions such as 'lifting weights will make you bulky'. There's also EZ calorie cut boxes scattered throughout suggesting alternatives that will save you calories.

I'm glad I took time to read Slim for Life slowly and think about what changes I want to incorporate in my life. Slim for Life will be a resource that I refer back to for sure. I like the fact that Michaels does not dictate, instead she provides a wealth of suggestions for you to choose from and tailor to your life. Her no nonsense, straight shooter approach appeals to me. I would have liked to have seen some photos of the exercises she mentions though.

"I don't want this book to be a once-read, I want you to reread it and use it over and over as often as you need to for its information and or reassurance. With it you can keep the special combination that belongs only to you, one that cracks the code of how to get and stay slim for life." ( )
  Twink | Mar 8, 2013 |
I love Jillian's Michael's no nonsense attitude. ( )
  lvmygrdn | Feb 23, 2013 |
The Good Stuff

OMG, I totally have a girl crush on her. She's my kind of women. A practical, no BS kinda women
Self deprecating and funny
Doesn't bore you with the science behind everything, but does give you a little background so you understand
Very little self promotion and if you have read any of these types of books before you will know that is pretty rare
Fabulous index (yes I think we all know by now, that this is important to me) and plenty of references to back up her information
The fast fact asides are interesting and useful
This is a must have for everyone - she is all about moderation (btw Jillian sweetie I have kids can we agree that it is okay to have 4-5 glasses of wine a week instead of two -- I know I know but hell if you meet my kids you will understand)
Everything is practical and affordable
She goes into living a more healthy lifestyle as well - not just being slim. Recommends some healthy home and beauty changes you can make to live a healthier and longer life
The first lifestyle book that I didn't want to put down
She's a firm believer in everything in moderation - and I truly believe that is the key to being happy
Yes totally agree with her about reading nutrition labels properly. You won't believe some of the shit companies try to get away with. We noticed some of the Blue Label products were labeled fat-free but the amount of sodium was off the charts
Great practical recipes for ways of spicing up meals without adding calories and salt (sorry my DH had a heart attack and we are extremely vigilant about added salt in products and recipes)

The Not So Good Stuff

Ok loved her so much I went out and purchased a couple of her workout tapes and OWWW! In all seriousness she gets results - I can even see the beginning of muscles already and I am more a go for a long walk and consider that exercise kinda girl
Would have liked a few less mentions of slim and more uses of word healthy but hey lets face the facts most of us women want to be told we look slim
I now feel slightly bad that I have never watched The Biggest Loser (sorry kids I am not much of a reality TV kinda gal)

Favorite Quotes

"If it didn't come from the ground or the ocean or have a mother - don't eat it. Think about it. Twinkies and Cheestos - what the hell are these? There's no Twinkie tree, and I'm pretty positive that nothing ever gave birth to a Cheeto."

"Kids are kids; we are the adults. It's our job to protect them and make healthy decisions for the whole family."

"The obvious way to lose weight, despite whatever load of crap the diet charlatans tell you, is to eat less and move more.'

Who Should/Shouldn't Read

There is something in this for everyone
If you want to get healthier and lose weight, get thee to a bookstore and buy immediately (Also recommend Jillian Michaels for Beginners to get the exercise regime started)

4.95 Dewey's

I received this from Random House in exchange for an honest review ( )
  mountie9 | Feb 13, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,637,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible