The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

The Dream Thieves (2013)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle (2)

I ended up liking The Dream Thieves more than I liked The Raven Boys. Is that because Ronan is my favorite character and the book centers around him? Possibly. I loved the first book but there's something about this one that just pushed it over the edge slightly.

Still, there's a weird issue I have with this series so far and I'm not entirely sure why. For some reason I'm having issues remembering all the details of the book. The main stuff is there and I remember pretty much everything but there's still some key aspects that slip through the cracks. For instance, Neeve. I read this book about a month or so after I read the first one and I completely forget she even existed until she was mentioned in this book and even then I only remembered the very basics of her whole ordeal in the first book. Is that because a lot of the aspects of the series or still a mystery and the pieces still aren't fitting together as nicely as I would like? Maybe, I don't know.

It's strange because I love the story, I love the characters, I love the plot, the writing doesn't bother me. There aren't really glaringly obvious issues I have with either one of the books I've read so far. I think it's a unique enough idea to grab my attention and I am invested in the story and the characters but there's just something about the series so far that's sort of... forgettable. Maybe I'm not immersing myself enough in the story or maybe there's just something about it that keeps losing my attention, I'm not sure. I don't usually have issues like this but here we are.

That being said I'm still loving what I'm reading and if the story itself sounds interesting to you I would at least give it a shot. ( )
  acciohaley | Feb 24, 2019 |
2017 re-read - I'm going to go cry in a corner now. Why can't I just swoop in and make everything ok for Ronan? He deserves better!!!

Once again, I must've been drinking when I gave this book 4 stars when I read it the first time. After a re-read, this is definitely a 5 star book. I can't wait to get to Blue Lily, Lily Blue. I love all of the secrets in this book. All of the action. All of the character development. All of the world building. I love everything about this book!!! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
I am really not sure what happened in this book and how it was supposed to tie into the rest of the story. Like I get it, but I don't. It didn't fit with the last book.
Okay. That's all. Lemme go read another book and get rid of the question marks floating over my head. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
"Inside yourself, it's only you who can help you."
I really enjoyed this one!

It expanded the world a lot and developed the characters more. I loved the dream-lore! It had an excellent atmosphere that was almost tangible. It really put me on edge though hah. Ronan's journey was awesome and it was really great to get to have so much of his perspective.

I did have an issue though with the pacing. The middle of the book felt like it was dragging just a little bit and the conflicts were fairly predictable. It seemed that the book was trying to handle a few too many things and didn't know where to put it all.

My biggest issue was with the Gray Man's relationship with Maura. It really broke reality because for some reason, no one was realistically bothered by his occupation as a hitman. They all behaved as if he worked for the IRS or something - someone most people don't like but are generally okay - not a murderer who gets paid. The relationship therefore felt forced and uncomfortable. I just couldn't get into it.

"Maybe this is the future. But it's not the end." ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
(This review can also be found on my blog.)

As I mentioned in my review on The Raven Boys, I first started this series several years ago. It lost my interest and I moved away from it, until this past year. In October, I decided to reread TRB and to attempt to continue the series in a more timely manner. I gave TRB five stars and waited a bit before moving on to The Dream Thieves.

The last time I attempted The Dream Thieves, it had been some time since I had read TRB. Because of this, I had forgotten a lot of the plot and the characters and it just didn’t hold my interest at all. This time, I didn’t wait too long to jump into it, and I latched onto the story.

This was such a good sequel!! I absolutely adored the characters and the storyline. Stiefvater broke my god damn heart repeatedly and I had to keep texting my friend Grace whenever I had something to yell about.

This book focuses a little more on Ronan than the other characters, although of course they all play relatively large roles. I never thought I would like Ronan, but this book made me adore him. My love for Noah stayed strong. Adam has definitely dropped a couple places in my heart, unfortunately. Gansey is adorable and precious and I want to squeeze him to death. And Blue continues to be just wonderful.

I’m trying to breathe a little before moving on to Blue Lily, Lily Blue (aka my library lost my hold so I’m forced to wait a little longer regardless), but am hoping to continue the series this month! ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What if you slept
In your sleep
You dreamed
In your dream
You went to heaven
And there plucked a strange and beautiful flower
When you awoke
You had that flower in your hand
Ah, what then?
— SAMUEL TAYLOR COLERIDGE
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
— T. E. LAWRENCE
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves.
— AUGUST STRINDBERG
for Jackson, and all her mqrvelous hours [sic]
A secret is a strange thing.
Theoretically, Blue Sargent was probably going to kill one of these boys.

Ronan Lynch learns to
Control his ability
To take things from dreams.
(passion4reading)

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater are awake, magic is swirling around Blue and The Raven boys and Ronan Lynch's ability to pull objects from his dreams is almost out of control but worst of all, the mysterious Gray Man is stalking the Lynch family, looking for something called the Greywaren.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible