Saints

by Gene Luen Yang

Series: Boxers and Saints (2)

"China, 1898. An unwanted and unwelcome fourth daughter, Four-Girl isn't even given a proper name by her family when she's born. She finally finds friendship-- and a name, Vibiana -- in the most unlikely of places: Christianity. But China is a dangerous place for Christians. The Boxer Rebellion is in full swing, and bands of young men roam the countryside, murdering Westerners and Chinese Christians alike. Torn between her nation and her Christian friends, Vibiana will have to decide where her true loyalties lie-- and whether she is willing to die for her faith" -- front flap.… (more)

More ambigiuity. I like what Yang is doing here, I like the history he presents, and how he does that. I like that he tells more than one story and how those stories intersect and reverberate. I like that he leaves so much unanswered in the end, and that it made me want to know more about the Boxer rebellion. At the same time, war is hard to read about, even in graphic novel form, and the ambiguity both enhances the story and makes it frustrating, much like life, I guess.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely. Did I _like_ it? That's a question I can't answer. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Another excellent viewpoint of the Boxer Rebellion from another incredibly sympathetic protagonist. Yang has successfully shown the conflict as grey, neither wholly good nor wholly bad. ( )
  bobbybslax | May 17, 2020 |
This book is part two; the first one is [b:Boxers|17210470|Boxers (Boxers & Saints)|Gene Luen Yang|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1359199413s/17210470.jpg|23691809].

A girl is brought up in China during the late 1800s, when religions clash and the very old times meet with what is basically a waft of the industrial revolution sweeping across China.

As such, she lives as an individual and cuts paths that shape her life, the term of which were once decided by the patriarchs but really is in hew own hands.

Not as good as the first book, this one is still illuminating, invigorating, epic and tragic. ( )
  pivic | Mar 20, 2020 |
Eh, I liked this slightly better than the first book, but it was still depressing and without moral compass. (Though maybe that was the point.) ( )
  livingtech | Mar 18, 2020 |
Interesting though somewhat topical. I'm not exactly sure what to think of this, but I should have also read Boxers first (except that I saw this sitting out in the library and snagged it on a whim).

The storytelling is great, often laugh out loud funny, and the drawings are decent. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Dedicated to the San Jose Chinese Catholic Community
I am my mother's fourth daughter, born on the fourth day of the fourth month, and the only one of her children to survive past a year.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,985,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible