The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for…

The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction) (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Donna Tartt (Author)

11,704706433 (3.95)1 / 727
A young boy in New York City, Theo Decker, miraculously survives an accident that takes the life of his mother. Alone and abandoned by his father, Theo is taken in by a friend's family and struggles to make sense of his new life. In the years that follow, he becomes entranced by one of the few things that reminds him of his mother; a small, mysteriously captivating painting that ultimately draws Theo into the art underworld.… (more)
Member:sethstern
Title:The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
Authors:Donna Tartt (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2013), Edition: 1st, 775 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (2013)

Recently added bychelsymbevan, jessbradley, Rennie90, private library, EmilyCheno, Bruyere_C, Bridget737, arisleyda
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (stricken)
    The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (JuliaMaria)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: Both have protagonists that use rare artworks to get what they want and execute their plan over many years
    Sympathy by Olivia Sudjic (niquetteb)
    niquetteb: The detailed writing styles are similar.
    The Dutch House by Ann Patchett (shaunie)
    shaunie: The Dutch House is in some ways a slimmed down, more enjoyable Goldfinch.
    The World to Come by Dara Horn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Paintings are at the heart of these hefty novels, both of which combine the antics of a heist novel with ruminations on literature, history, and loss. Memorable characters and rich details add to the enjoyment of both books.
    Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A book about trauma, guilt and complicated grief. The effect of secrets and drugs on lives and families.
    You Remind Me of Me by Dan Chaon (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: Loss of a young parent; leading a deceptive life
Romans (49)
2010s (203)

English (673)  Spanish (7)  Italian (6)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (706)
This book wrecked me. It's impossible to write coherently about it. I didn't think she could ever top The Secret History, but this is her masterwork. And did anyone else get a weird, Catcher In The Rye vibe? Like a super drugged up, modern Holden Caulfield? Maybe it's just me.
I was filled with both profound sadness and vast joy as I read this book. I'm babbling. Donna Tartt is God, possibly? ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Dickensian? God, if only. Since it took me 2.5 years to finally finish this (read it only on Kindle during plane trips) that should tell you how compelling I found this book. Could easily have been 250 pages shorter. The scenes, dialogue, and extraneous characters that bulk it up are just overkill for the most part. Also relentlessly didactic at the end. The acclaim for this book is baffling to me. ( )
  Octavia78 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Overall, I found this book and the lives of the protagonist and his acquaintances quite interesting. There was often too much detail and too many coincidences. The ending worried me that there would be too much positive preaching, but there really was not, and I appreciated that. ( )
  suesbooks | Nov 20, 2021 |
Fantastic novel ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
Finally. Although she is a gifted writer and I enjoy reading her prose, description, and unique take on storytelling, there is a gift to know what to cut. And 400 pages could have been cut and this still would have been great, maybe even 5* from me. ( )
  Saladbar | Nov 6, 2021 |
Good things are worth waiting for. . . a tour de force that will be among the best books of 2013.
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Megan Fishmann (Nov 1, 2013)

It’s my happy duty to tell you that in this case, all doubts and suspicions can be laid aside. “The Goldfinch” is a rarity that comes along perhaps half a dozen times per decade, a smartly written literary novel that connects with the heart as well as the mind. I read it with that mixture of terror and excitement I feel watching a pitcher carry a no-hitter into the late innings. You keep waiting for the wheels to fall off, but in the case of “The Goldfinch,” they never do.

Book review in English 2 out of 5
added by zwelbast | editNRC (Dutch), Rob van Essen (Sep 23, 2013)

Book review in English 5 out of 5 stars

Tartt, Donnaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fabritius, CarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayes, KeithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jong, Sjaak deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lecq, Paul van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Rose-MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nimwegen, Arjaan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pittu, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

La Scala Rizzoli (Stranieri)
The absurd does not liberate; it binds.
ALBERT CAMUS
#part 5: We have art in order not to die from the truth - Nietzsche
#part 2: When we are strongest - who draws back? Most merry - Who falls down laughing? When we are very bad, - what can they do to us? - Arthur Rimbaud.
For Mother, For Claude
While I was still in Amsterdam, I dreamed about my mother for the first time in years.
It seemed like the kind of room where a call girl or a stewardess would be murdered on television.
He's telling you that living things don't last—it's all temporary. Death in life. That's why they're called natures mortes. Maybe you don't see it at first with all the beauty and bloom, the little speck of rot. But if you look closer—there it is.
Every new event—everything I did for the rest of my life—would only separate us more and more: days she was no longer a part of, an ever-growing distance between us. Every single day for the rest of my life, she would only be further away.
But sometimes, unexpectedly, grief pounded over me in waves that left me gasping; and when the waves washed back, I found myself looking out over a brackish wreck which was illumined in a light so lucid, so heartsick and empty, that I could hardly remember that the world had ever been anything but dead.
When I looked at the painting I felt the same convergence on a single point: a flickering sun-struck instant that existed now and forever. Only occasionally did I notice the chain on the finch's ankle, or think what a cruel life for a little living creature—fluttering briefly, forced always to land in the same hopeless place.

Qui est Theo ? Que lui est il arrivé à New York pour qu'il soit quatorze ans plus tard , cloîtré dans une chambre d'hôtel à Amsterdam comme une bête traquée ? D'où vient cette toile de maître , Le Chardonneret , qu'il transporte partout avec lui ?

Ce roman laisse le lecteur essouflé , éblouï et encore une fois conquis par le talent hors du commun de Donna TARTT.
Liked a goldfinch chained / Booze, drugs can't erase the pain / Of his mother's death (LynnB)
Blast kills mother.
Painting of a goldfinch
dominates life's remainder.
(Bebedee)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,532,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible