The Skull Throne: Book Four of The Demon…

The Skull Throne: Book Four of The Demon Cycle (The Demon Cycle Series 4) (edition 2015)

by Peter V. Brett (Author)

Member:eloquinn
Title:The Skull Throne: Book Four of The Demon Cycle (The Demon Cycle Series 4)
Authors:Peter V. Brett (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2015), 769 pages
Tags:IMPFAV

The Skull Throne by Peter V. Brett

English (30)  German (1)  All languages (31)
The Skull Throne is the fourth book in The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett. It has been two years since I read the previous books and I was surprised at how easy it was to slide back into the story. Unfortunately I'm also remembering why I was starting to find this series so frustrating.

The story starts off strong, picking right up and resolving the cliffhanger from book 3. Immediately after, the two male leads FINALLY have the conversation I've been waiting three full books for! It was so great to have Arlen give voice to the atrocious behavior of the Krasian people and why everyone hates them, even if Jardir will never understand. Brett basically makes the argument that people are always the hero of their own story, even if their actions are atrocious when looking at them from the outside. And then we shift to a brand new POV character and a brand new backstory. I'm happy to say that this one does not take 200 pages and does not rehash the prior books. Once that's done it's back to the main story and oh boy do things get exciting quickly.

And then we hit the wall. The remainder of the story jumps to all the other characters and everything else going on in the world while completely ignoring the main story line. If you're into human politics, a lot of soap opera-ish antics, and have enjoyed the Krasian culture from the previous books, then you will enjoy this installment. Otherwise, expect to be annoyed as very little progress is made to what, in theory, is supposed to be the point of the series. ( )
  Narilka | Oct 6, 2018 |
With Arlen and Ahmann more or less out of the picture and the demons under control more than they have been for centuries, both sides of the Daylight War are fighting amongst themselves for leadership. ( )
  Griffin22 | Sep 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book in a Library Thing Early Reviewers Member Giveaway.

The fourth book in Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle continues to provide lots of entertainment to his readers. This one is centered mostly on associated characters that have been introduced over the first three books of the series and you will not see any interaction with the two deliverer MC's that ended the third book in a cliffhanger, though they will have a limited side story separate from the main story being told in this one. You will find lots of action you have come to expect from the author

4.5 stars for a really fun read and recommended for all reading the Demon Cycle.
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
2.5 stars ( )
  Kirstielee | Apr 16, 2018 |
Another excellent book in the Demon Cycle! I waited a long while for the continuation of this story, and I was not disappointed. More intricacies of the courts and politics are revealed, as the daylight war advances just as much as the demon war. I fell in love with some new characters, and happily immersed myself in the stories of previous ones. The ending was just as dramatic as that of the last book, leaving me anxiously waiting for the next book in the cycle. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |

The first three novels in New York Times bestselling author Peter V. Brett’s groundbreaking Demon Cycle series—The Warded Man, The Desert Spear, and The Daylight War—set a new standard for heroic fantasy. The powerful saga of humans winnowed to the brink of extinction by night-stalking demons, and the survivors who fight back, has kept readers breathless as they eagerly turned the pages. Now the thrilling fourth volume, The Skull Throne, raises the stakes as it carries the action in shocking new directions.

The Skull Throne of Krasia stands empty.

But Arlen Bales, the Warded Man, stood against this course, challenging Jardir to a duel he could not in honor refuse. Rather than risk defeat, Arlen cast them both from a precipice, leaving the world without a savior, and opening a struggle for succession that threatens to tear the Free Cities of Thesa apart.

In the south, Inevera, Jardir’s first wife, must find a way to keep their sons from killing each other and plunging their people into civil war as they strive for glory enough to make a claim on the throne.

In the north, Leesha Paper and Rojer Inn struggle to forge an alliance between the duchies of Angiers and Miln against the Krasians before it is too late.

Caught in the crossfire is the duchy of Lakton—rich and unprotected, ripe for conquest.

All the while, the corelings have been growing stronger, and without Arlen and Jardir there may be none strong enough to stop them. Only Renna Bales may know more about the fate of the missing men, but she, too, has disappeared. . . .

"The Skull Throne of Krasia stands empty. Built from the skulls of fallen generals and demon princes, it is a seat of honor and ancient, powerful magic, keeping the demon corelings at bay. From atop the throne, Ahmann Jardir was meant to conquer the known world, forging its isolated peoples into a unified army to rise up and end the demon war once and for all. But Arlen Bales, the Warded Man, stood against this course, challenging Jardir to a duel he could not in honor refuse"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Peter V. Brett's book The Skull Throne was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,267,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible