A Little Book of Sloth by Lucy Cooke

A Little Book of Sloth (2013)

by Lucy Cooke

Hang around just like a sloth and get to know the delightful residents of the Avarios Sloth Sanctuary in Costa Rica, the world's largest sloth orphanage. You'll fall in love with bad-boy Mateo, ooh and ahh over baby Biscuit, and want to wrap your arms around champion cuddle buddy Ubu!

I truly enjoyed reading the book a little book of SLOTH because I’ve always adored sloths but didn’t know much about them. This adorable book walks you through a sanctuary for sloths and introduces you to the sloths who live there. Every sloth has unique characteristics that make them different from the other sloths. These sloths have been rescued and are being nursed back to health before going back into the wild. The reason I love this book so much is because it allows you to connect and get to know the different sloths. Cooke states, “Work it, Wally! Wally is a hard-working young sloth, dedicated to self-improvement. He has finally learned how to climb up. But he’s yet to master the art of reverse and often has to be rescued from the top” (Cooke, page 32). On this page includes a picture of Wally at the top of a jungle gym looking proud of himself. While Cooke introduces all the different sloths who live in the sanctuary, she is giving facts about sloths which I never knew of. In order to tell sloths a part, different types of sloths have a varying amount of fingers. While I knew that sloths love to chill, they actually spend 70% of their time sleeping. Sloths nerves have been evolved to not react to loud noises. These are some of the fascinating facts about sloths which I never knew of. Throughout this book, the author does an amazing job with the pictures. The pictures are able to capture the sloths doing many of their different activities. You’re able to visually see the different traits, hobbies, and relationships they have with one another. The purpose of this book was for Cooke to show readers what a sloth sanctuary looks like, and give information about sloths. Each book that is bought donates to the Aviarios sloth sanctuary. ( )
  JulieFriedman | Mar 26, 2018 |
The pictures of sloths are cute. I was not a fan of the language and there was not a very clear presentation of facts. This is NOT a stellar work of nonfiction (there isn't a single reference). More of a "hey look these animals are cute" type of book. I would have prefered a better presentation of facts along with the adorable pictures. ( )
  michelleannlib | Jul 25, 2017 |
This book is composed of a lot of different brief anecdotes and fun facts about sloths, however I don't feel that this book would be well used in a classroom. From a literacy teaching standpoint, it's not the most high quality text to make use of. ( )
  ShelbyEllis | Nov 24, 2016 |
This book is all cuteness. I really loved the way the book presented factual information about Sloths. It is filled with adorable pictures of baby sloths during their daily routines. The language is clear and descriptive. The main idea is to teach children all about the baby sloths that are recused in Costa Rica. ( )
  cmcdon18 | Oct 2, 2016 |
I loved this informational text about a sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica! The main idea of this text was to inform readers about sloths. I enjoyed the large photographs in this book. The photographs were vivid, close ups of sloths. The photographs directly related to the text of the page they appeared on. For example, there are two consecutive pages that describe the two different types of sloths. A picture of the Bradypus sloth accompanies the description of the Bradypus sloth and a picture of the Choloepus sloth accompanies the description of that type of sloth. The photographs assist in the comprehension of the text.
I liked how the author of this text organized the book. Each page of the book contains a different fact about sloths then an explanation of why the fact is important. For example, the author notes that baby sloths contain an innate "hugability" and are masters of the hug. The author then explains that baby sloths hug or cling to their moms for the first years of their lives in order to keep warm during the night because they lack the ability to control body temperature. ( )
  jessicaedelman | Oct 11, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,984,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible