A Story of Easter and All of Us by Roma…

A Story of Easter and All of Us

by Roma Downey, Mark Burnett (Author)

"Beginning with the creation of man and ending with the revelation of a new world, readers will revel in this epic saga of warriors, rebels, poets, and kings, all called upon by God to reveal His enduring love for mankind. Ultimately, God's plan is fulfilled in the story of Jesus the Messiah, whose life, death and resurrection brings salvation to one and all."--Dust jacket.… (more)

This is a companion to the TV miniseries "The Bible",which I have not seen at this point, so won't be comparing. The book is beautifully illustrated with stills from the movie and each page is graphically designed to have the text either superimposed or blocked off the images. A storybook for adults that is also certainly meant to be read aloud to children or as a family. As a Catholic I found the text to be totally ecumenical and friendly to all denominations, also making it accessible to those of other or no religions who want to read the Easter story from the Biblical point of view. Some things have been added, such as motive, but that is author's licence and makes for a readable, entertaining storybook that stays almost true to Scripture. One could pick on the things missing but this isn't the vehicle for such analysis. The front page has a very nice presentation form and this would make a lovely gift book. ( )
  ElizaJane | Apr 12, 2014 |
This is the best selling novel that was based off the widely acclaimed Bible Series that aired on the History Channel. (Btw, interesting piece of info: they're making a "season 2" that'll focus on the AD part of the Bible.) This book follows God's promise to His people from Adam and Eve all the way to John in Patmos. Since Downey and Burnett couldn't fit all the Bible stories we know and love into a ten hour time slot for the show, they had to pick and choose the stories they would use. Because of that, we did not get to see stories like Paul and Silas, Jacob and Esau, or the spies of Caanan. The stories covered in the book were Creation, Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, Rahab, Samson, Saul, David, Daniel, John the Baptist, Mary, Jesus, the Desciples, and Paul.

This was a wonderful read that brought the Bible to a whole new light. After getting involved in both watching and reading this series, I re-realized how much of an uber-awesome story the Bible really is! So many times we get in our heads that all the stories of the Bible is love one another; everything will be okay, world peace. Which isn't it at all, of course. Jesus wanted His followers to love their enemies and do good to them that hate them, but the Bible isn't some sissy book. There's war, slavery, torture, kings, death, spies, super humans, escapes, giants, and of course, miracles. David's story is a regular Survive and Run from the Government Andrew Klavan kind of novel. This book reminded us of that.

However, there were things I didn't agree with. The story was not particularly completely Biblically accurate. Examples were: Abraham sacrificed a lamb in the book, whereas in the Bible it was a ram. Rahab should've let the spies down the red cord in her window. The wise men weren't supposed to come to the manger scene. Saul was supposed to be killed by falling on his sword. Angels were supposed to nock Peter and the disciples out of gazing in the air. One of the prophecies in the Bible specifically mentioned Jesus' bones would. not. break. Daniel's three friends were supposed to be thrown into a fiery furnace that killed the men who threw them in; they weren't supposed to be lit on fire. And baptisms are complete submersion--not sprinkling. Interestingly though, the book was more accurate than the show. Abraham's name was originally Abram. Daniel didn't try to dissuade his friends from standing up for God before the furnace. Jesus actually called for Lazarus to come out instead of going inside and waking him up like He did in the show.

Aside from the baptism issue, there were no doctrine problems with the book--however the repeated descriptions of how nails drove through Jesus' bones and how they cracked really irked me. They never once said you had to add works or baptism in to be saved (however, they never really addressed it and often the baptism was nearly simultaneous to the men being saved.) Trust me, I read very closely, seeing if I could catch one of those extra things you had to do to get saved. Thankfully I didn't see any.

This book is fantastic for someone who wants to know the Bible and read it, but is intimidated by the size of the actual Book. Not to mention, it might be a bit hard for an unsaved to go through Leviticus, you know what I mean? I'm not saying you can use this in place of THE BIBLE, but it is a good way to get yourself a taste for the real thing. Personally, I think they would do better if they made the book into a full series like they did with the show. There's simply too many stories to fit into one novel. I mean, come on! David's story could be one 400 page novel by itself. The book didn't really leave much room for you to get to know the characters well and feel for them before they were whisked off the stage to make room for the next one.

Things to watch out for: It's an adult book, so it refers to Sodom and Gomorrah's wicked sins, what Rahab did before she met the spies, etc. However, it wasn't very detailed. Lots of violence throughout the book. Throat slitting, child murder, drowning, stabbing, shooting, falling, crucifixion. Inaccuracies throughout, many of which are listed above, may cause confusion for someone who doesn't know their Bible well. However, if you think you want your kid to read this story, there is a child's version that vanillas the violent and Sodom scenes way down.

337 pages. ( )
  Jenneth | Aug 13, 2013 |

Roma Downeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burnett, MarkAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For our parents with gratitude for lessons learned, values taught and love shared.

Maureen O' Reilly Downey,
Patrick Joseph Downey,

Jean Scott Burnett,
Archibald Wilson Burnett,

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,123,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible