Madam Secretary: A Memoir by Madeleine…

Madam Secretary: A Memoir (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Madeleine Albright

A national bestseller on its original publication in 2003, Madam Secretary is a riveting account of the life of America's first woman Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright. For eight years, during Bill Clinton's two presidential terms, Albright was a high-level participant in some of the most dramatic events of our time--from the pursuit of peace in the Middle East to NATO's intervention in the Balkans to America's troubled relations with Iran and Iraq. In this thoughtful memoir, one of the most admired women in U.S. history reflects on her remarkable personal story, including her upbringing in war-torn Europe and the balancing of career and family responsibilities, and on America's leading role in a changing world. With a new epilogue by the author, Madam Secretary offers an inimitable blend of Albright's warm humor, probing insights, and distinctive ideas.… (more)
Member:ircastana
Title:Madam Secretary: A Memoir
Authors:Madeleine Albright
Info:Miramax (2005), Paperback, 736 pages
Tags:2011

Madam Secretary: A Memoir by Madeleine Albright (2003)

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
Madam Secretary by Madeleine Albright:

Lessons I Learned:

1. When going out to eat order the cheapest item on the menu so you can save money.
2. Remember that marriage lasts for a lifetime or not but maintain discretion always.
3. Treat everyone with dignity and respect even if you do not like their attitude/ideals.
4. Always know what you are speaking about before opening your mouth.
5. Do not be afraid to restart your life over again after a mishap. Its not so bad.
6. Always remember that the only disability in life is a bad attitude. Just don’t do it.
7. Positivity rocks. Negativity does not and it is a timer waster and a hindrance.
8. Learn to love your own company and being alone. There is no shame in that. Ever. ( )
  Kaianna | Mar 2, 2021 |
An astonishing, engaging story, told in first person from her birth in Czechoslovakia through resignation of her post as Secretary of State under Clinton. I was lucky enough to see Albright when she came to Phoenix as part of the Speakers' Series, and I found her insightful, knowledgeable, and adept with the one-liner. ("I was required to wear a bulletproof raincoat ... so big, the material stuck out above my shoulders. I eyed the photographers warily, fearing the caption, 'Madeleine Albright, the Hunchbacked Dame.'") This book was written in collaboration with Bill Woodward (speechwriter), but I heard her voice loud and clear in these pages. I also learned a lot about the policies and our relationships with countries all over the globe and was in awe of her ability to understand the delicate political nuances, how aspects such as the need to "save face" with people back home or backstories going back fifty years shape negotiations. She's also acutely attuned to language. At times there would be a phrase spoken or reported in the newspapers, and I'd think nothing of it, whereas she or one of her advisors would say, "Aha! That changes things." I'd have to read the next paragraph or two to understand why. I appreciate her efforts at building coalitions, including among women at the U.N. and elsewhere. I have to confess I got a bit bogged down by the long section about the middle east, but the situation is so complicated, that was probably inevitable. I love that she includes cartoons that poke fun at herself and photographs that suggest her ability to connect with a wide variety of people. Her husband, who left her for a younger woman doesn't come off so well; and she expresses her disappointment with Clinton over the Lewinsky affair ("I was angry with the President for risking so much for less than nothing"). But she took the advice of Gabriel Garcia Marquez: "When you write your memoirs, remember: do not be angry." It's a long book, but definitely worth the 500 pages. This was a bookclub pick, and though it is my first book by Albright, I will read more. This book was published in 2003, and I will be interested to see how/if two additional decades alter her views or focus. ( )
  KarenOdden | Jun 7, 2020 |
Madam Secretary: A Memoir by Madeleine Albright (2003) ( )
  amillion | Feb 18, 2020 |
4.5 stars. This was a long read but it was enjoyable. Albright's humor and writing made the content readable. It was a good balance of history, personal commentary, and reflection. Albright is truly an incredible woman for her dedication to her passions and to serving her country. There is one thing all readers can gather from this memoir: this read really showed how human the individual political actors are. It reminded me that presidents, prime ministers, and diplomats in general are all subject to the same emotions we are. We can all throw tantrums and make decisions just to spite others. We all make mistakes and wish we did things differently in hindsight. In short, I enjoyed this memoir because it put a human face to history and politics. They're not just words on a page or a shape on a map. They are people led by individuals who are only human.
  BefuddledPanda | Dec 4, 2017 |
An incredibly educational look at a fascinating life - and I highly recommend the audiobook which Albright narrates herself. The focus on this book is certainly on Albright's years as secretary of state under President Clinton, although her entire life is covered. I definitely feel like I have a different take on foreign affairs (although I might need to follow-up this book with one by Colin Powell or Condi Rice). I appreciated Albright's straight-faced sense of humor and I would like to explore another of her books - Prague Winter. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Sep 27, 2016 |

Madeleine Albrightprimary authorall editionscalculated
Woodward, BillCollaboratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winqvist, ToreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,852,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible