We Are Water: A Novel (P.S.) by Wally Lamb

We Are Water: A Novel (P.S.) (edition 2014)

by Wally Lamb (Author)

Member:Alice_Wonder
Title:We Are Water: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Wally Lamb (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2014), Edition: Reprint, 592 pages
Collections:Audio Book from Library, Fiction, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

We Are Water by Wally Lamb

Recently added bySWade0126, private library, loveleelisa, Monalesia, LibraryOfRodAndCyn, sandraela

I read this book with a Book Club I belong to and was dreading it because I didn't think I'd like Wally Lamb's writing. I was wrong. Overall, it was a good read. There were parts that were difficult to get through because (slight spoiler!) one of the narrators of the story (the book was told from several different peoples' perspective) was a pedophile. I didn't enjoy hearing from his character very much. I would definitely give another Wally Lamb book a read. ( )
  loveleelisa | Jan 5, 2019 |
It's not every day one finds such an accurate portrait of Borderline Personality Disorder. Annie is a classic case: childhood trauma and sexual abuse, plus her need to keep secrets even from those closest to her. One of the manifestations of this disorder is a tendency to fly into irrational rages. Annie feels a great deal of anger and will take it out on her children, especially on her one boy. She does learn how to channel this rage into her artwork, though critics describe it as angry. Her sickness shows and her husband, a psychologist, is too wrapped up in his own work to notice that there is something very wrong.
Another manifestation of this disorder is the fear of abandonment. Annie has that, too, she is planning to marry a woman who can be overbearing, yet whom Annie sees as strong and reliable and able to "take care" of her.
Since aspects of the patient's personality tend to freeze at the age of the initial trauma, in a sense they remain children and never outgrow the self-centered lack of empathy. Their own children will pay a high price for being left in the care of another child. All 3 of Annie's adult children have their own instabilities.
Also there is an amazing depiction of the pedophile who raped Annie and went on to attack many little girls. What a sense of entitlement!
What a creep! You will want to stand up and cheer when the karma bus runs over him.
I'm not a psychologist but I did grow up in a dysfunctional family, affected by Borderline Personality Disorder, where the safety of the secrets was the highest priority. Anyone needing to know more about this needs to read I Hate You, Don't Leave Me as well as We Are Water. ( )
  translynx | Aug 5, 2018 |
This is a story of the Oh family. Each member of this family has secrets. Some of them have darker secrets than others.

I absolutely LOVED the way these secrets are revealed and the way that they all related to one another without anyone realizing it. The way it is written makes me feel like I am a part of this family with secrets of my own.

This book is filled with so much emotion and it has taken me 2 weeks to get through it. I felt like it has been such an investment of my time. This has not been an easy breezy summer read. It is involved, it is dark, it is deep and it is disturbing.

It wasn't until the very end that the reason for the title is revealed and it made perfect sense. The ending also reminded me of Mr. Lamb's other book She's Come Undone (which I loved).

I recommend this book to anyone and everyone! Many thanks to HarperCollins Publishing and Edelweiss for this advanced readers copy. This book is scheduled for release in October 2013. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
I'm a big fan of Wally Lamb's first two novels — "I Know This Much is True" and "She's Come Undone." He's perceptive and writes with such depth and compassion — and I was so eager to read his newest novel.

Unfortunately, "We are Water" is just too much. A big book with many characters, covering a wide span of time and just too many topics. I wanted to love this book, but always felt spread thin. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
not his best. story kinda got lost in the multiple narrators and buried under superfluous details. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Ghost of a Chance: You see a man / trying to think. / You want to say / to everything: / Keep off! Give him room! / But you only watch / terrified / the old consolations / will get him at last / like a fish / half-dead from flopping / and almost crawling / across the shingle, / almost breathing / the raw, agonizing / air / till a wave / pulls it back blind into the triumphant sea. -- Adrienne Rich
This one is for two strong women: Joan Joffe Hall and Shirley Woodka
I understand there was some controversy about the coroner's ruling concerning Josephus Jones's death.

Anna Oh, a middle-age wife, mother and artist, divorces her husband after 27 years of marriage to marry Vivica, the Manhattan art dealer who orchestrated her professional success.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,659,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible