We Are Water: A Novel (P.S.) by Wally Lamb

We Are Water: A Novel (P.S.) (edition 2014)

by Wally Lamb (Author)

Member:Alice_Wonder
Title:We Are Water: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Wally Lamb (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2014), Edition: Reprint, 592 pages
Collections:Audio Book from Library, Fiction, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

We Are Water by Wally Lamb

This is a story of the Oh family. Each member of this family has secrets. Some of them have darker secrets than others.

I absolutely LOVED the way these secrets are revealed and the way that they all related to one another without anyone realizing it. The way it is written makes me feel like I am a part of this family with secrets of my own.

This book is filled with so much emotion and it has taken me 2 weeks to get through it. I felt like it has been such an investment of my time. This has not been an easy breezy summer read. It is involved, it is dark, it is deep and it is disturbing.

It wasn't until the very end that the reason for the title is revealed and it made perfect sense. The ending also reminded me of Mr. Lamb's other book She's Come Undone (which I loved).

I recommend this book to anyone and everyone! Many thanks to HarperCollins Publishing and Edelweiss for this advanced readers copy. This book is scheduled for release in October 2013. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
I'm a big fan of Wally Lamb's first two novels — "I Know This Much is True" and "She's Come Undone." He's perceptive and writes with such depth and compassion — and I was so eager to read his newest novel.

Unfortunately, "We are Water" is just too much. A big book with many characters, covering a wide span of time and just too many topics. I wanted to love this book, but always felt spread thin. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
not his best. story kinda got lost in the multiple narrators and buried under superfluous details. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
‘We Are Water’ by American author Wally Lamb is the examination of a family riven by differences, tragedy and horrors, how they first avoid then finally admit the truths and shame, in order to face the future. It is a story about looking forwards, not back.
I loved the storyline set-up in the Prologue, elderly artist and curator Gualtiero Agnello recalls the discovery of a self-taught artist, Josephus Jones, a poor black man in the Sixties with a raw untapped gift. But then as the story develops, Jones is not centre stage. The focus is on Annie Oh, another untutored artist discovered by Agnello, who lived in the same house where Jones lived in a shed out back and where he died in a well. Murder or accident, it is never proven.
Via the Oh family, Lamb explores the imbalance of family life, its events and consequences. When she is small. Annie loses her mother in a flood which devastates the town of Three Rivers in Connecticut. This flood is based on a real-life event though the town is fictional. Growing up, Annie is subjected to abuse which remains unspecified for a long time. The reader comes to realise she was abused, but not how or why. Annie’s husband Orion knows only that she had a difficult childhood. As a psychology professor, he suspects a tough childhood but backs-off challenging her about it.
Raising her three children – Ariane, Andrew and Marissa - Annie is a strict mom who occasionally hits her son, but never her daughters. In an escape from motherhood she starts to make art in the basement of the house, using materials foraged from refuse. When a New York art agent sees her work, this is the catalyst for change. Annie leaves Orion and falls in love with her agent, Viveca. This action puts the focus on all the fissures within the Oh family and raises various issues they have denied and hidden. Andrew finds God, Marissa is a jobbing actress and an alcoholic, Ariane conceives by artificial insemination. When they gather for the wedding of Annie and Viveca, a sequence of events brings the past to life again and the secrets and horror come crashing back.
Lamb’s focus on family reminds me of the novels of Anne Tyler and Jane Smiley, although of course he is a man writing a woman’s point of view. Once I got over my disappointment at not reading more about Josephus Jones I enjoyed this, at times difficult, novel.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Mar 16, 2017 |
Artfully written, as is usual for Wally Lamb. Sometimes you can tell a secret, other times you must keep it a secret. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Dec 10, 2016 |
Ghost of a Chance: You see a man / trying to think. / You want to say / to everything: / Keep off! Give him room! / But you only watch / terrified / the old consolations / will get him at last / like a fish / half-dead from flopping / and almost crawling / across the shingle, / almost breathing / the raw, agonizing / air / till a wave / pulls it back blind into the triumphant sea. -- Adrienne Rich
This one is for two strong women: Joan Joffe Hall and Shirley Woodka
I understand there was some controversy about the coroner's ruling concerning Josephus Jones's death.

Anna Oh, a middle-age wife, mother and artist, divorces her husband after 27 years of marriage to marry Vivica, the Manhattan art dealer who orchestrated her professional success.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible