Pursuing Justice: The Call to Live and Die…

Pursuing Justice: The Call to Live and Die for Bigger Things

by Ken Wytsma

414408,795 (4)2

A testimonial in the form of unprocessed research notes and factoids. His heart is in the right place and as such this book will speak to many people in a positive way. ( )
  CKHarwood | Mar 13, 2019 |
Due to the "talking over your head" style of writing and dragging out his message just to fill pages I give this 3 stars. The content is very worthy to take into our spirits but it could have been condensed. ( )
  MonicaEH | May 23, 2017 |
Say you wrested a shard of glass from its setting in a beautiful mosaic, took it home and placed it on the table and declared to anyone in earshot, "This is a magnificent piece of art!" Ken Wytsma says, "No matter how lovely that single shard was it in no way captures the glory of the whole" (6). And yet often our treatment of justice, is a mere single shard treatment:
Justice is like a mosiac. It's not only about single pieces--it's about all the pieces working together in a stunning whole. All too often we believe that our desire to pursue justice can only be lived out or understood in a single shard. Criminal justice. International development. Creation care. Education. Anti-trafficking. Works of mercy and love.

All of these shards are vital parts of God's mosaic of justice. (Wytsma, Pursuing Justice 6-7)

Wytsma's book Pursuing Justice explores the multifaceted nature of justice and helps us get a sense of God's larger vision for Justice. Wytsma, who launched the annual Justice Conference is passionate about presenting justice in all its full-orbed flavor. So he explores how justice helps us know God and live in light of the good news, gives us meaning significance and happiness, confronts our own religious hypocrisy, and challenges our consumerism. worship,He also explores how justice, needs to be done justly and wisely to be truly just, and the ways that jutice enables real relationship between people and people and people and God.

The chapters of this book are punctuated with interludes---interviews, poems, pictures and poetic prose which evoke our concern for deeper justice. Wystma tackles some heavy issues (i.e. sex trafficking and sexual violence, racism, poverty, etc. These little 'interludes' help maintain a hospitable place to explore the issues.

I liked this book a lot and plan to refer back to it. It is rare to find an author that opens up the concept of justice so completely. I mean, Wolterstorff, kind of does but he isn't accessible to the general reader. Wytsma on the other hand has graphics, stories and personal examples which are compelling. I give this book five stars and recommend this to anyone wishing to explore the meanng of God's justice and what it means to act justly and love mercy. ★★★★★

I received this book from the publisher for the purposes of review. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |

Since the delivery service arrived at my door this week bearing this review package, I've been working my way through Ken Wytsma's debut writing success, Pursuing Justice. Considering today is Valentine's Day, at this point I will say Ken's discussion of the 'Love' connection alone, is worth picking up the book. Here's the set up, abbreviated, but in Ken's words..
A "biblical concept of justice has a lot of shared space with synonyms such as love, mercy, charity... Justice is a sum of many parts.." All flowing from the very heart of God. From that heart flowed Love toward us, humankind. God's only begotten son, Love. Yet in the interpretation of culture, that Gift, that Love, has been lost in translation.
Love today, as described by Ken, is " an intensity of desire and longing. In essence, the more I want something, the more I love it."
This, vs Yeshua's version of loving others, as He exampled Love to us. The distinguishing characteristic of His Love visible via His followers is to be our life laid down for our friends. Open hearted giving. Loving in deed and Truth, not in empty words. " for Jesus, the metric of love is sacrifice. The irony, then, is that without our noticing, the meaning of lovehas been replaced with the definition of lust—
measured by intensity of desire or longing.... the converse of its original significance. Our culture’s concept of love is primarily self-driven and pleasure-seeking." A temporary state. At odds with the depth and focus of self-giving Love exemplified and characteristic of Christ's call to Love.
"Love that is identified primarily by the intensity of its longing or its desire isn’t love—it’s lust. And actions that demonstrate an ongoing willingness to sacrificially serve others are, by Jesus’ definition, love. We think we love when we ache with passion; for Jesus, the measure is sacrificial action."

On this annual date with Love, may our actions of Love support our words of Love ...

May today be a truly Happy Valentine's Celebration!

*Full Discussion Guide for Pursuing Justice available for free direct download HERE plus additional free resources to check out ...

WIth appreciation to Thomas Nelson for providing a review copy without obligation in exchange for sharing my perspective.

FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |

The ONLY way to find abundant life and happiness is to give your life away.

If God designed us to experience true happiness and abundant life, why do so many Christians feel dissatisfied and purposeless?  We try to make our lives better by chasing our own dreams, but that only makes the problem worse.  Instead, the path to a just life that's satisfying and permeated with meaning leads us alongside the orphan, the widow, and the powerless.  Using clear evangelical theology and compelling narratives drawn from two decades of global ministry and travel, Ken Wytsma, the founder of The Justice Conference, shows God's unchanging love for all His children.  On the way, the author calls us back to a proper understanding of biblical justice, a redeeming glimpse into the true meaning of righteousness and the remarkable connection between our own joy, the joy of others, and the wondrous Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Pursuing Justice shows that God isn't primarily concerned with personal piety but about empowering His children to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with their creator. The message is as hopeful as it is fresh: when you discover anew the meaning of the Gospel and give your life away, you will find it...and it will be the best life you can imagine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:07 -0400)

If God designed us to experience true happiness and abundant life, why do so many Christians feel dissatisfied and purposeless? We try to make our lives better by chasing our own dreams, but that only makes the problem worse. Instead, the path to a just life that's satisfying and permeated with meaning leads us alongside the orphan, the widow, and the powerless. Using clear evangelical theology and compelling narratives drawn from two decades of global ministry and travel, Ken Wytsma, the founder of The Justice Conference, shows God's unchanging love for all His children. On the way, the author calls us back to a proper understanding of biblical justice, a redeeming glimpse into the true meaning of righteousness and the remarkable connection between our own joy, the joy of others, and the wondrous Gospel of Jesus Christ.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,457,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible