Kiss Me Like A Stranger: My Search for Love…

Kiss Me Like A Stranger: My Search for Love and Art (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Gene Wilder

Member:shmibs
Title:Kiss Me Like A Stranger: My Search for Love and Art
Authors:Gene Wilder
Info:St. Martin's Press (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:***1/2

Kiss Me Like A Stranger: My Search for Love and Art by Gene Wilder (2005)

This is pretty much the kind of memoir you'd expect Gene Wilder to write. It starts off a little stiff and mannered, but it quickly picks up pace and steam and the prose is such that you can almost hear Wilder read it to you: quirky and wry and imperfect, acknowledging some of his imperfections but apparently entirely unaware of others. He comes across by turns kind and sincere and, at times, a bit of an asshole. (And I think he'd have described that as a fair cop.) Worth reading if you're at all interested in his career. ( )
  siriaeve | Jan 9, 2017 |
I'm a huge fan of "Young Frankenstein" (YF) and I like "The Producers very, very much. I think Wilder was just perfect in both movies. So I was more than a little predisposed to a very good review of his book, but instead I found it poorly written, dull, skimpy, and not very funny. YF spans about 8 pages and the pages in KMLAS include a lot of air, i.e., a typical page had a bit more than 300 pages, and chapters were short, with a blank page+ between each. Air. And within these 8 pages, there were breakaways to describe the latest wisdom from therapist Margie, the breakup of his marriage and how painful it was (really?), and plans for the next movie. Margie.....Wilder shares many of the insights and advice that Margie dropped on him over the years. Dull. Obviously a big deal for Wilder but dull nevertheless. So what are some of the wonderful inside scoops, the behind-the-scenes stuff from YF. "Walk this way", "Eyegore", "...you take da blonde..." all things we've heard a million times. And the marriages....I lost count. But, despite all that what you really wanted to hear about was the marriage with Gilda, the Love Story. Wilder writes on page 202 - "if the dog hadn't eaten the rat poison, I honestly don't think that Gilda and I would ever have gotten married." Ah, true love. ( )
  maneekuhi | Sep 9, 2016 |
I love Gene Wilder, but I've read only a quarter of this book. He chronicles his life, year by year, production by production, but I'm disappointed. I prefer a memoir that offers insights about the author's personality--revelations, aha moments, transformation, redemption. Or funny stories about celebrities. Or writing that shows a love of words. Kiss Me... wasn't emotional or funny or literary. This memoir would be a great resource for anybody doing research on American theater and film, but it didn't hold my interest. ( )
  dawndowney | Apr 18, 2015 |
I suppose I should've known by the book's title that Wilder was playing his cards close to the chest when he wrote the book. It's mostly about his career. His disclosure about his life comes out in tidbits and, at times, feel inconsequential. There's a part where he mentions his dad died then goes on about his career like it was no more than a cold day. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because there were some interesting insights into working with Richard Pryor and Gilda Radner, but the book could've been much deeper. The guy has been a brilliant actor. But there are parts of his life he doesn't want to show the public, I get that, and if you're okay with that then read it. Otherwise, put it down. ( )
  tbert204 | Sep 4, 2010 |
Listened to this unabridged audiobook - read by the author. Enjoyed his writing and reading style very much. Tastefully written; reminded me of all the wonderful movies Wilder has worked on (in front of & behind the camera). ( )
  langclouse | Feb 13, 2010 |

Gene Wilder is one of the great comic actors who defined the 1970's and 1980's in movies. From his early work with Woody Allen to the rich group of movies he made with Mel Brooks to his partnership on screen with Richard Pryor, Wilder's performances are still discussed and celebrated today. Kiss Me Like A Stranger is an intimate glimpse of the man behind the image on the screen.
In this book, Wilder talks about everything from his experiences in psychoanalysis to why he got into acting (and later comedy-his first goal was to be a Shakespearean actor) to how a midwestern childhood with a sick mother changed him. He writes about the creative process on stage and on screen, and divulges moments from life on the sets of the some of the most iconic movies of our time. He also opens up about his love affairs and marriages, including his marriage to comedian Gilda Radner. But the core of Kiss Me Like A Stranger is an actor's search for truth and a thoughtful analysis of why the choices he made-some of them so serendipitous they were practically accidental-changed the course of his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

The comic actor shares personal events that led to his understanding of love and the art of acting, discussing his relationships with such contemporaries as Mel Brooks, Richard Pryor, and Gilda Radner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,963,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible