THE LAST HOURS OF ANCIENT SUNLIGHT : THE…

THE LAST HOURS OF ANCIENT SUNLIGHT : THE FATE OF THE WORLD AND WHAT WE CAN… (1998)

by Thom Hartmann

While everything appears to be collapsing around us - ecodamage, genetic engineering, virulent diseases, the end of cheap oil, water shortages, global famine, wars - we can still do something about it and create a world that will work for us and for our children's children. The inspiration for Leonardo DiCaprio's feature documentary movie The Eleventh Hour and soon to be released HBO special Ice on Fire, Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight details what is happening to our planet, the reasons for our culture's blind behavior, and how we can fix the problem. Thom Hartmann's comprehensive book is one of the fundamental handbooks of the environmental activist movement. Now with fresh, updated material on our Earth's rapid climate change and a focus on political activism and its effect on corporate behavior, The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight helps us understand - and heal - our relationship to the world, to each other, and to our natural resources.… (more)
Member:Mike.Hill
Title:THE LAST HOURS OF ANCIENT SUNLIGHT : THE FATE OF THE WORLD AND WHAT WE CAN DO BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
Authors:Thom Hartmann
Info:

The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: Waking Up to Personal and Global Transformation by Thom Hartmann (1998)

This is easily my favorite non-fiction book, and I look forward to reading the update. One of my students insisted that I read it, and even handed me his Dad's copy. I will be sure to have my students read parts of it as we learn about Environmental Science next year. Well done, Mr. Hartmann.
  labratmd73 | Mar 5, 2013 |
Important book to read in order to understand the science behind global warming. Thought that the ending was a little preachy and do not necessarily agree with author's perspective for the solution. All and all, I think it was interesting and I'd recommend it. ( )
  blondestranger | Dec 5, 2007 |
A good basic book on the perils we all face with the depletion of our precious hydrocarbon energy supply. Mr. Hartmann does a good job of explaining the problem and does try to propose a solution but his solutions seem a little light weight for such a heavy problem. ( )
  pamur | Nov 6, 2007 |
A book that ought to become part of every persons library, be in every school. Perhaps if people read and listen to the wisdom held within its pages we may find that the planet and humanity have a chance in preserving what is not yet quite destroyed. ( )
  LadyBlossom | Oct 3, 2007 |
This book changed my life! Hartmann explains global energy in a revolutionary new way and provides contrete examples of how we can turn our planet around. I'd really like to have the updated version some day! ( )
  mamorico | Nov 6, 2006 |

Thom Hartmannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pearce, Joseph ChiltonForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
We, the generation that faces the next century, can add the... solemn injunction, "If we don't do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
--Petra Kelly (1947-1992),
founder of the German Green Party
Dedicated to:
My daughter, Kindra Hartmann, for all the lessons she has taught us about compassion and love, and the example of compassion and understanding she lives;

my son, Justin Hartmann, with respect for his love of books and ideas, and the challenge he has given to us in his desire and actions taken to change the world for the better;

and my daughter, Kerith Hartmann, for the inspiration of her activism and her passionate commitment to healing both humans and all life.
In the 24 hours since this time yesterday, over 200,000 acres of rainforest have been destroyed in our world.

Sunlight warms the Earth with life. As our culture moved from ancient hunting/gathering times to the technological era, we discovered ancient sunlight -- captured millions of years ago by plants and compressed into oil deep under our soil and oceans. Now, as our planet's oil supplies are projected to last no more than 30 to 50 years, and species and cultures are dying off at an unprecedented rate, we confront difficult choices. In this passionate yet thoroughly researched work, author Thom Hartmann proposes that the only lasting solution to the crises we face is to relearn the lessons of our ancient ancestors -- who lived sustainably for thousands of generations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,775,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible