dismiss

The Humans by Matt Haig

The Humans

by Matt Haig

Regarding humans unfavorably upon arriving on Earth, a reluctant extraterrestrial assumes the identity of a Cambridge mathematician before realizing that there's more to the human race than he suspected.
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    The World of the End by Ofir Touché Gafla (fugitive)
    fugitive: Two very odd works using satire and pathos to explore what it means to be human and alive. Two different versions of mortality.

English (85)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (92)
3.75 stars

An alien has taken over the body of mathematics professor Andrew Martin. It takes a bit of time for the alien to learn the ways of the humans, but at the same time, he has a purpose. The humans are learning too much about technology (though it’s not nearly as much as there is to know), and this needs to be stopped. Professor Martin, his friends and family (and whatever they know) must be stopped.

I listened to the audio and quite enjoyed it. It had funny moments, and that really drew me in at the start, though it lagged a bit for me in the middle. Overall, I quite liked it. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 18, 2020 |
Why I never added this book to my read shelf? It's one of my favorites! ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
Sometimes in life we need an Alien calling us out on our ungrateful nature, reminding us not to stress about the small stuff, telling us to appreciate it all and enjoy it. ( )
  melissa0329 | May 12, 2020 |
Andrew Martin is not the man he used to be. To be honest, he isn’t the human he used to be either. The original Andrew Martin was a maths genius, and he had just solved the Riemann hypothesis on prime numbers, but he wasn’t a particularly nice man either, as the alien who is impersonating him is rapidly finding out. He has been sent to destroy all evidence that this hypothesis has been solved, and he will do anything to ensure that anyone else who has spoken to Martin about the solution, is not in a position to do anything about it either.

The thing is, his so called low key operation gets off to the worst possible start. On top of that he isn’t quite sure just what to make of the human race, just what drives these humans, and maybe, just maybe start to fall in love with the lady who is now his wife. Now he has a choice that he doesn’t really want to make; complete his mission; or become human.

It is has some parallels with stories like A Man Called Ove, the kind that gives some people a warm fuzzy glow, and Haig has got this nailed. But for me it wasn’t hugely amusing, though it did make me smile in some parts. The best part for me was the list of advice to us to make your life much better at the very back of the book. Overall, 2.5 stars. Not bad and I will probably read the others that I have on my shelves at home. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
I think Matt did a much better job in this one than in "How To Stop Time".
The pacing could have been better, but it's not nearly as much of a problem as it was in HTST.
He managed to make the characters individual and each had their own sets of wants and needs (another of my issues with HTST), so it was easier for me to get immersed into the story.

The pacing issues as well as a bunch of inconsistencies in the main protagonist that would sometimes pull me out of the story are stopping me from giving this 5/5, but it's a solid 4/5 so I'm recommending it to anybody in search of a cute story that dabbles into the human condition, romance, philosophy with a bit of science on top. ( )
  parzivalTheVirtual | Mar 22, 2020 |
Proving once again that it's often necessary to take an outsider's view into consideration to fully understand something familiar, The Humans is a treatise addressed to the alien's race, describing the messy, repulsive, delightful and humane nature that makes us human. The alien, who actually prefers a dog to people—a perfectly sensible decision to many humans—discovers one of the greatest dangers of anthropology: the temptation to go “native.”

Haig, Mattprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meadows, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, JuliusForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have just got a new theory of eternity.

--Albert Einstein
To Andrea, Lucas, and Pearl
I know that some of you reading this are convinced humans are a myth, but I am here to state that they do actually exist. For those that don't know, a human is a real bipedal life form of midrange intelligence, living a largely deluded existence on a small, waterlogged planet in a very lonely corner of the universe.

The critically acclaimed author of The Radleys shares a clever, heartwarming, and darkly insightful novel about an alien who comes to Earth to save humans from themselves.

“I was not Professor Andrew Martin. That is the first thing I should say. He was just a role. A disguise. Someone I needed to be in order to complete a task.”

The narrator of this tale is no ordinary human—in fact, he’s not human at all. Before he was sent away from the distant planet he calls home, precision and perfection governed his life. He lived in a utopian society where mathematics transformed a people, creating limitless knowledge and immortality.

But all of this is suddenly threatened when an earthly being opens the doorway to the same technology that the alien planet possesses. Cambridge University professor Andrew Martin cracks the Reimann Hypothesis and unknowingly puts himself and his family in grave danger when the narrator is sent to Earth to erase all evidence of the solution and kill anyone who has seen the proof. The only catch: the alien has no idea what he’s up against.

Disgusted by the excess of disease, violence, and family strife he encounters, the narrator struggles to pass undetected long enough to gain access to Andrew’s research. But in picking up the pieces of the professor’s shattered personal life, the narrator sees hope and redemption in the humans’ imperfections and begins to question the very mission that brought him there

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,639,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible