The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Naturals (edition 2013)

by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Author)

Series: The Naturals (1)

"Seventeen-year-old Cassie, who has a natural ability to read people, joins an elite group of criminal profilers at the FBI in order to help solve cold cases"--
Member:tarynfaith16
Title:The Naturals
Authors:Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2013), 321 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:****1/2

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both deal with teenagers using the profiling skills gained from their troubled backgrounds to hunt down serial killers (both of which are focused on them). I Hunt Killers' main character Jasper Dent's father was a serial killer who trained him as well. The Naturals' Cassie learned to profile helping her fake psychic mother at shows - and one of her classmates reminds me of Jasper.… (more)

I really liked this book. So many of these teen team books lately have centered around paranormal abilities of the members. Even though I like that kind of book, this was a breath of fresh air because the team members all have natural crime detection abilities that aren't paranormal. I'm anxious to read the next book in the series to see where the characters go as they pursue the limits of what they can do. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
4.5 This was an awesome ride and I couldn't put it down! Best thing I ever read? No. Plausible plot? Eh, not really. BUT thoroughly enjoyable! I read this because I loved JLB's Fixer series and had just finished The Inheritance Games, which I also loved. Glad I did, and I will definitely finish series! ( )
  slittleson | Jul 6, 2021 |
5 Innately Gifted Teenagers (with Troubling Backstories)
2 Field Agents in Charge of Corralling Them
1 Serial Killer
1 Relevant Cold Case
Several Profiling Lessons
1 Love Triangle on the Backburner to Focus on SOLVING CRIME ( )
  Caramellunacy | Mar 10, 2021 |
This mystery sucked me in and kept me reading. I’m not a big mystery person, so I didn’t figure out the big reveal in advance, but that’s okay with me. Some suspension of disbelief must be applied here, gifted teens working for, and with the FBI? Not really plausible, but yet, it’s a popular YA sub-genre. (See Anthony Horowitz, Alane Ferguson, Andrew Lane, and others.) This promises to be a bit like CSI, or Cold Case for teens. I will buy for the high school, and the rest of the series. I’m ready to read the second one, now.
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
YA. At last, a teen novel that isn't oversexed or full of gratuitous f-bombs, I initially thought. But then there is the serial killer factor with quite a lot of gory details, like peeling someone's face off with a knife. So maybe not..... Cassie Hobbs is a 17 year old, living in CO with her father's family while he does a tour of duty overseas. Her mother Loralei, we learn early on, is dead, the victim of an unsolved murder. Cassie has a gift -- she is a natural profiler -- and honed this skill with her mother's teaching until she died when Cassie was 12. She gets recruited by the FBI to be part of a youth program of "naturals" who can profile,(Cassie & Dean) read emotions (Michael), process mounds of data instantly (Sloane) and detect -and create - lies (Leah). This houseful of teens lives in DC, so Cassie moves across the country to be part of it. They all practice their skills and learn more from adult agents who are actively investigating a serial killer in the DC area. Cassie has the added incentive of trying to solve her mother's murder, and bizarrely there seems to be a connection to that 9 yr old cold case and the current one. When Cassie become a target, the action really ratchets up. There is the predictable love triangle between Cassie, Michael and Dean -- which one will she choose? (even though she has only known them a couple weeks), but the author does a nice job with some last minute twists and doubts about the killer's identity. This is the first in a trilogy and the set-up for subsequent books is there at the end. Not sure I will keep reading, but the first one was engaging. The plot chapters alternate with chapters that get in the mind of the serial killer, and read out loud, it's pretty creepy to hear. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Neha, who understands the human mind and uses her powers for good, not evil (mostly)
You've chosen and chosen well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,247,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible