Hit-Girl Volume 1 by Mark Millar
Member:ericreeves3
Title:Hit-Girl Volume 1
Authors:Mark Millar (Author)
Other authors:Ricardo Lopez Ortiz (Artist), Amy Reeder (Artist)
Info:Image Comics (2018), 112 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Kick-Ass: The Dave Lizewski Years Book Two by Mark Millar

I was initially unsure how much I might enjoy Hit-Girl in Colombia but I was very pleasantly surprised. While I don't mind lots of blood and violence that isn't a particular draw for me. I like stories and characters, and if violence is part of it, okay.

The character of Hit-Girl is wonderful. Not particularly deep (though she has a couple of profound comments) but very much a fun personality as long as you aren't a target. She is snarky and seems to fluctuate between a typical 12 year old and a middle-age business person.

The story is both over-the-top and very basic, but in a fun and engaging way. The vengeance at the heart of the story is both understandable and extreme, yet ultimately the message is that people are not inherently bad and with hope everyone can be "good."

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a quick fun read with good visuals and a snarky protagonist.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via Edelweiss. ( )
  pomo58 | Jun 26, 2018 |
Man, this is fantastic! Even better than volume one! Hit-Girl is the main focus in this one and she is so bad-ass the series should be named after her, not Kick-Ass. Dave breaks his hand and Mindy has to take on the Mafia single-handedly to save her family who is being threatened. Violence galore in the most amazingly creative way. Fantastic characterization of Mindy and Dave leave you caring for these guys as real people. The art is amazing and even though it's a gorefest, it is beautiful. Can't wait to read the next volume! ( )
  ElizaJane | May 9, 2018 |
Disturbing. (Duh.) I found it a better read than the first book, possibly because Hit-Girl is simply way more interesting than Kick-Ass can ever be. She's completely messed up -- but how do you call her "damaged" when her abilities have rendered her virtually invulnerable? Sure, she takes down a mob boss -- and several dozen of his closest associates -- and, okay, the entire population of death row (she was in the neighborhood, so she figured she'd "save the tax-payer a little cash"). But she also conquers the female population of *middle school.* Using pretty much the same skill set.

I guess I'd have to call her my favorite right-wing extremist. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
I just absolutely love Millar's writing in the Kick-Ass series. It's relentless, brutal, profane, and flat out entertaining. Unfortunately with the films having been made, this makes it a popular title with teens when in all actuality no one under the age of 18 should ever pick this book up. Talk about intense visuals and language... all coming from main characters that are children not old enough to drive a car. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 12, 2014 |
Hit-Girl is an interlude in the Kick-Ass series by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. It’s set between Kick-Ass and Kick-Ass 2.

Plot:
Mindy, formerly known as Hit-Girl, now lives with her mother and her step-father. She promised him that Hit-Girl was a thing of the past and that she’d do everything to be a normal high school student. But that’s not exactly true. While she does struggle with being as normal as possible, she also trains Dave aka Kick-Ass and does everything to break up the Genovese-led Mafia. At the same time Chris Genovese gives up being Red Mist to become the world’s first super-villain.

I enjoyed Hit-Girl. I’m still not a big fan of Romita Jr.’s art, but I like the characters and the story is fun. I did have a couple of issues, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/hit-girl-mark-millar-john-romita-jr/ ( )
  kalafudra | Sep 12, 2013 |

Mark Millarprimary authorall editionscalculated
Romita Jr., JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Mindy Mccready has mastered a hundred ways to kill a man. Her father, the superhero known as Big Daddy, made sure of that. She's used her skills to wipe out mobsters, super-villains, and more. So why does facing the popular girls at middle school feel like her toughest challenge yet? With Big Daddy now gone, Hit-Girl tries her hardest to make good on a 'normal' life with her mom and stepdad. So she strikes a deal with fledgling superhero Kick-Ass: She'll train him to stay alive, if he'll teach her how to fit in with the other girls at school. But with a new mafia don on the rise, being normal may just have to wait." -- Jkt.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,839,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible