Monster Earth

by James Palmer

314,201,907 (4)None
Welcome to a world where the Cold War was fought not with the threat of nuclear destruction, but with Giant Monsters.Watch as the denizens of this Earth that might have been learn to harness the power of these legendary creatures for good and ill. In these seven tales you'll witness first hand as...--A young boy learns the value of sacrifice when the Japanese use a giant monster to attack Pearl Harbor...--An Inuit confronts his heritage to harness a frightening creature of the Great White North...--A false guru's greed endangers 1960s Boston...All this and more await you in the pages of MONSTER EARTH!Join editors James Palmer (Slow Djinn), Jim Beard (Sgt. Janus, Spirit-Breaker) and some of the most talented voices in New Pulp, including Nancy Hansen (Prophecy's Gambit), Edward M. Erdelac (The Merkabah Rider series), and I.A. Watson (Blackthorn: Dynasty of Mars) as they take you to a frightening vision of Earth...MONSTER EARTH!… (more)
Recently added byjdavidhacker, dudendawg, JSmith5528

A simple premise, Kaiju are discovered and employed as weapons of mass destruction worldwide, instead of nuclear weapons. The stories, by a range of authors, walk us through this alternate history for the better part of the 20th century. While clearly individual events play out differently, the overally arc of history is left relatively intact. Perhaps because of Beard's and Palmer's previous work on comics and rpgs (shoutout to Unkown Armies) which typically use writing teams, the contributors stories are all very well coordinated, even referencing 'historical' events from previous stories. There's pretty good cultural representation within stories, we get Kaiju connected to and featuring quite a few different cultural traditions, though I'm unsure that's reflected in the authors themselves. None of it comes across as exploitive, though that's me speaking as a non-BIPOC, so your mileage may vary depending on your lense.
I actually picked this up because it happened to feature Edward M. Edelac's 'Mighty Nanuq' which I had recently read in one of his collections. While still a high point for me in this collection, I would put most of the collection on par with it in terms of quality and engagement. An all around fun read, especially if you're a fan of Kaiju. ( )
  jdavidhacker | Aug 4, 2023 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,283,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible