Rose Wood by Sharon Mikeworth

Rose Wood

by Sharon Mikeworth

1181,237,607 (3.56)None
Paranormal investigative writer Aileen Whitney doesn't really believe in ghosts-until the day she is struck by lightning at Rose Wood Plantation. Awakening with the ability to perceive what normally can't be sensed, she encounters the spirit of fourteen-year-old Emma Gage, who disappeared from Rose Wood in 1919. She soon becomes aware that Emma is not resting and doesn't plan on letting her rest either unless she finds out what happened to her on that long-ago day. When Aileen finally unearths the truth behind Emma's disappearance, she uncovers a terrible betrayal in her own life and realizes that nothing is what it seems.… (more)

I had to turn the light on for a middle-of-the-night bathroom run after reading the scene where the ghost "introduces" herself to Aileen. This was a fast moving story that kept me guessing with a great twist at the end. I really enjoyed Rose Wood. ( )
  NickiSlater | Mar 19, 2015 |
I have to stop requesting Author Giveaway books on LibraryThing. I live in hope of one day discovering, and, in my own small way, helping to nurture a book by a major new talent - and have a soon-to-be-valuable first edition of the author's masterpiece for my troubles.

Rose Wood isn't that book.

I nearly didn't get past the prologue. In it a bunch of teenagers' car breaks down in a spooky wood. Two of them go exploring and find an old cemetery.

'"...around the back they found the remains of a path, mostly grown over leading UP through the trees."

'"You're right," Cheryl said, I think this must have lead UP to a house."
They started UP the path...'

"Come look there's a house UP here!"

(My emphasis but it's pretty well established that these guys are going uphill. )

But!

"The moon came back out and she saw they were following alongside a stream that was deepening and widening into a river the farther along they went."

They're walking uphill next to a stream that is getting deeper and wider? which means that the water in this stream is flowing uphill....

There's a lot of sloppy writing like that in here:

'Black swamp water snaked along both sides of the road, winding around and occasionally passing under the low bridges she crossed.'

Water winding around bridges? Neat.

Chapter 10 opens with our heroine recovering from being struck by lightning:

'After sitting around the apartment the next two weeks and pretty much doing nothing but sleeping, eating and watching TV, she was starting to get a little stir-crazy. The weird trace patterns had mostly disappeared from her chest and abdomen, her burns were healing nicely, and the infernal ringing in her ear had finally subsided.
After showering she tried to make an effort. she blow-dried her hair...'

Eewwww!

I'm sure the author didn't mean to imply her character hadn't bathed for two weeks - but that's what she wrote.

After a while I got fed up with having to work out which pronoun belonged to which character in any given sentence: Aileen is at home recuperating:

'She was wrapped in a comforter and sipping chicken soup when Coleen arrived. She threw her bag down and leaned over to giver her a quick hug, and Aileen caught a whiff of the Channell Coco she always wore. Her sense of smell seemed to have been somehow enhanced...'

Wait I'm lost. Go back read it again. Ah! got it. Coleen threw her bag down... but I'm still not sure who was wearing the perfume. I think it must be Coleen....

I shouldn't have to stop and work this sort of thing out every couple of paragraphs.

All in all it's not good enough to be interesting but not bad enough to be funny.
  TheOtherJunkMonkey | Mar 16, 2015 |
I found Rose Wood to be a surprisingly good story. I honestly was not expecting such a rich and captivating paranormal thriller, rather I had expected it to be another typical haunting story. The premise was intriguing, and I found myself unable to put it down.

The main character, Aileen, is a strong willed female who, after being struck by lightning, is able to perceive unnatural things that she could not before. Baffled by her new awareness, Aileen is unwillingly plunged into solving the mystery of a young girls death. While trying to figured out what happened to the young girl who is now haunting her, Aileen deals with her own social problems that turn out to be connected to the mystery.

The story is written simply, which was quite fresh for me. It was not cluttered or wordy, yet the story still had an intellectual and complex feel to it. The only issue I had was with the prologue, which was entirely unnecessary and a bit misleading. ( )
  lynnguini | Mar 11, 2015 |
I liked the premise of the book - it gave a very eerie feeling and as the story unfolded it continued throughout the whole book. The history and the plot twists were amazing. About half way through you had to kind of push yourself through it got a little long winded but once you get over that it is well worth it. The last part of the book had me reading like a crazy woman to find out what happened to Emma. A good novel not too over done with the a-typical ghost/suspense/occult novel. ( )
  rayneofdarkness | Aug 12, 2013 |
This is that kind of book that once you pick it up you get sucked in and before you know it your done. I love the mystery, the southern history, and the occult all mixed in one. It makes for great variety. This book woulod appeal to a very wide audience. I definitely recommend this. ( )
  RussoFamily1207 | Jul 15, 2013 |

Paranormal investigative writer Aileen Whitney doesn't really believe in ghosts—until the day she is struck by lightning at Rose Wood Plantation. Awakening with the ability to perceive what normally can't be sensed, she encounters the spirit of fourteen-year-old Emma Gage, who disappeared from Rose Wood in 1919. She soon becomes aware that Emma is not resting and doesn't plan on letting her rest either unless she finds out what happened to her on that long-ago day. When Aileen finally unearths the truth behind Emma's disappearance, she uncovers a terrible betrayal in her own life and realizes that nothing is what it seems.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sharon Mikeworth's book Rose Wood was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sharon Mikeworth is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,623,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible