The Book of Life: A Novel (All Souls Series)…

The Book of Life: A Novel (All Souls Series) (edition 2015)

by Deborah Harkness (Author)

Series: All Souls (3)

"After traveling through time in Shadow of Night, the second book in Deborah Harkness's enchanting series, historian and witch Diana Bishop and vampire scientist Matthew Clairmont return to the present to face new crises and old enemies. At Matthew's ancestral home at Sept-Tours, they reunite with the cast of characters from A Discovery of Witches--with one significant exception. But the real threat to their future has yet to be revealed, and when it is, the search for Ashmole 782 and its missing pages takes on even more urgency. In the trilogy's final volume, Harkness deepens her themes of power and passion, family and caring, past deeds and their present consequences. In ancestral homes and university laboratories, using ancient knowledge and modern science, from the hills of the Auvergne to the palaces of Venice and beyond, the couple at last learn what the witches discovered so many centuries ago"--… (more)
Member:issacg96
Title:The Book of Life: A Novel (All Souls Series)
Authors:Deborah Harkness (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 576 pages

Work Information

The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: witches and vampires and an occasional ghost

English (144)  Dutch (1)  All languages (145)
This book didn't go at all where I thought it would go, which is a good thing. I'm not going to write anything else and suggest you read it. The book was a fitting end to the trilogy. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
I've already admitted to my unabashed love of this series and The Book of Life in particular, so I'll not repeat myself here. I'll just say that Jennifer Ikeda did an excellent job with the narration and overall it was a lovely audiobook to get lost in while stuck in traffic. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 17, 2022 |
This trilogy is a funny thing. When I read the first book, I wasn't that into it. The story was all over the place, there were so many plot lines, and it seemed like things were left unresolved. Like, really unresolved, not trilogy unresolved. Then the second book came along, and it was a completely different story. Now, instead of talking about history, we were in history. The second book had similar issues to the first one (wandering story, weird side plots), but I was so drawn in to the historical accuracy of the world that I was there.

Well, this third book has well and truly just forced me to shut up, get over myself, and just enjoy it. I like it. I like the romance and the drama and the fact that the story wanders all over the map. I like that it has gone from paranormal romance to historical fiction to historical fantasy to all-out, magical phantasmagoria. So, at this point, I don't really care about the story's technical problems. The characters feel real, the settings feel real, and the world that Harkness creates feels real. Who am I to ask for more? ( )
  JessicaReadsThings | Dec 2, 2021 |
This was a beautiful book. Very engaging. ( )
  lisacmiller | Nov 17, 2021 |
Things I loved:

Diana is the hero. Truly. She doesn't need saving but it was also organic and not a Mary-Sue situation and I loved that. (Yes, run-on)

Gallowglass.

Chris & Miriam's science banter.

Well-supported arguments. Debate. Intellectual discussion.

Babies!

I understand completely why some people were disappointed, but I wasn't! Issues people seem to have had:

Lack of secrecy. Kind of hard to hide a pregnancy. When the creature world will be hunting you anyway, why not at least tell your story to try to make them see your side?

Too many characters: I do agree with this one. I wanted a vampire family tree to consult while reading. If you need to introduce new characters, some of the old ones might need to step back...

Disappointing "big reveal:" I think anything bigger than what Harkness chose would have seemed forced and fake. My goodness, look how crazy Diana's magic gets...

Many questions left unanswered. Really, it just felt like maybe some more books could come eventually. I am totally supportive of that! ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
StevanZZCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Het zijn niet de sterkste soorten die overleven, en ook niet de intelligentste. Het is de soort die het beste reageert op veranderingen

- Philippe de Clermont, dikwijls toegeschreven aan Charles Darwin
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change. - Philippe de Clermont, often attributed to Charles Darwin
For Karen, who knows why
Ghosts didn't have much substance.

The highly anticipated finale to the All Souls trilogy that began with A Discovery of Witches.

After traveling through time in Shadow of Night, the second book in Deborah Harkness's enchanting series, historian and witch Diana Bishop and vampire scientist Matthew Clairmont return to the present to face new crises and old enemies. At Matthew's ancestral home at Sept-Tours, they reunite with the cast of characters from A Discovery of Witches - with one significant exception. But the real threat to their future has yet to be revealed, and when it is, the search for Ashmole 782 and its missing pages takes on even more urgency. In the trilogy's final volume, Harkness deepens her themes of power and passion, family and caring, past deeds and their present consequences. In ancestral homes and university laboratories, using ancient knowledge and modern science, from the hills of the Auvergne to the palaces of Venice and beyond, the couple at last learn what the witches discovered so many centuries ago.

All Souls trilogy
Book 1: A Discovery of Witches
Book 2: Shadow of Night
Book 3: The Book of Life

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,344,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible