Old Friend from Far Away: How to Write a…

Old Friend from Far Away: How to Write a Memoir (original 2008; edition 2002)

by Natalie Goldberg

420747,049 (4.03)2
Millions of Americans want to write about their lives. With this book as the road map for getting started and following through, writers and readers will gain a deeper understanding of their own minds, learn to connect with their senses in order to find the detail and truth that give their written words power and authenticity, and unfold the natural structure of the stories they carry within. Through timed, associative, and meditative exercises, writing teacher Goldberg guides you to the attentive state of thought in which you discover and open forgotten doors of memory. At once a celebration of the memoir form, an innovative course full of practical teachings, and a meditation on consciousness, love, life, and death, this book welcomes aspiring writers of all levels and encourages them to find their unique voice to tell their stories.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:caledfwlch
Title:Old Friend from Far Away: How to Write a Memoir
Authors:Natalie Goldberg
Info:Sounds True (2002), Audio CD
Rating:*

Work Information

Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir by Natalie Goldberg (2008)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
I liked this book, but as I was reading it through, it was not easy to handle. The reason is that this is a book meant to be read, and for people to do the writing exercises. I constantly wanted to stop and do some writing, but since I was borrowing the book (from my library), I could not stop. I would definitely buy a copy of this book for myself at some point. I remarked in one of the updates that I still liked Writing Down the Bones better, and I can say that statement is still accurate. That other book seemed more primal; this one is good, but it seems a bit more refined, which is not necessarily a bad thing. For aspiring writers, and I think even for veteran writers, there are a lot of good writing exercises and ideas. The book's focus is on writing memoir, but it is still applicable to other forms of writing. I think the only reason I did not give it five stars is that some of the illustrative passages (like an excerpt from this or that) seemed either a bit long or not as engaging (to me at least), but that is a minor thing. Overall, if you want to get writing, and you want to do so with minimal nonsense or fluff, then this is a good book for that. If you have read the author before, you know what you are getting. If not, this is a good place to start. Now, go read it, and then go grab pen and paper (or your keyboard), and write. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
Natalie Goldberg reads on 2 CDs. Another excellent set of writing lessons. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Acquired at 2010 SIWCon
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
Another book I picked up because the author is beloved. Goldberg’s Writing Down the Bones was the first book I read about writing that inspired me. I’ve read all her books since then (including one very disappointing novel) but nothing’s clicked with me like Bones. This book was close; I felt a click here and there. Old Friend is fundamentally an expanded Bones. It has lots of fun exercises for those who are suffering from writer’s block. I’d like to keep it a little longer and try more of the exercises. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
The book is so full of encouragement and prompts that its practical helpful hints are rather overwhelmed. Its usefulness depends on what the reader needs. The end of the book does pull out its helpful hints in a list and also presents a long list of published memoirs. ( )
  snash | Jul 26, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,472,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible