One summer : America, 1927 by Bill Bryson

One summer : America, 1927 (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Bill Bryson

Member:SuziQoregon
Title:One summer : America, 1927
Authors:Bill Bryson
Info:New York : Doubleday, [2013]
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2018

One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson (2013)

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 16, 2018 |
I never would have attempted to read such a book if not written by Bill. But, the fact that 1927 was my mothers birth year I had to finish it though it took me TWO WEEKS!! Geez. My mom had a thing for Charles Lindbergh and even a signed photograph that she cherished. I never quite understood her fascination with Lindbergh but reading this book I semi understand. She conveniently ignored the facts he admired Hitler and was considered by many to be anti Semitic. I throughly enjoyed the history of Coolidge and Herbert Hoover. It puts into perspective that our country may just survive Trump. All in all a slow moving history of people and occurrences that all took place during one summer in 1927. ( )
  Alphawoman | Dec 16, 2017 |
I've heard great things about Bryson's books, and now I understand why. One Summer is conversational and ambling in tone, but in the way of a masterful storyteller. He covers the major events in America during the span of the summer of 1927--and what a summer it was! It was the high season of Charles Lindbergh, Babe Ruth, boxing matches, the advent of "talkies," the rule of Al Capone, attacks by anarchists with bombs, disastrous flooding along the Mississippi, Calvin Coolidge doing absolutely nothing, the set up for the great stock market crash, and more. I was reading specifically to get the color of the time period and to see what the book said about Hollywood in that age. For my research needs, I acquired a ton of material, and most of all, I had a fantastic time reading through the entire book. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in a pivotal period in world history. ( )
  ladycato | Dec 8, 2017 |
i learned a lot of interesting things, but for some reason Bryson's penchant for hyperbole bothered me more in this book than in others. Additionally, the lay out of the book was confused - each section was labeled with a month and an important figure, but then that section had little to do with that. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
Loved this book! Bryson really made this era come to life. It gave me the feel of a part history lesson (which I loved) and part fiction work, which I guess may have been his intention. Highly recommend if you like lots of details and like watching the History channel;) ( )
  shanagorian | Oct 3, 2017 |

Bill Brysonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Diderich, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Annie, Billy, and Gracie, and in memory of Julia Richardson
On a warm spring evening just before Easter 1927, people who lived in tall buildings in New York were given pause when the wooden scaffolding around the tower of the brand new Sherry-Netherland Apartment Hotel caught fire and it became evident that the city's firemen lacked any means to get water to such a height.

Bryson examines closely the events and personalities of the summer of 1927 when America's story was one of brawling adventure, reckless optimism and delirious energy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible