Hell by James Ward Kirk

Hell (edition 2013)

by James Ward Kirk, James Ward Kirk (Editor), William Cook (Cover Design), A. B. Stephens (Contributor), Timothy Frazier (Contributor)16 more, Paula D. Ashe (Contributor), David Frazier (Contributor), Matthew Wilson (Contributor), Scott Frederick Hargrave (Contributor), Christopher Hivner (Contributor), Adam Moore (Contributor), Clint Smith (Contributor), Chantal Noordeloos (Contributor), Ron Koppleberger (Contributor), Paul DeThroe (Contributor), Ken Goldman (Contributor), David James Keaton (Contributor), Murphy Edwards (Contributor), Thomas Malafarina (Contributor), David S. Pointer (Contributor), Nathan J.D.L. Rowark (Contributor)

313,465,194 (3)None
Member:tipmyhat
Title:Hell
Authors:James Ward Kirk
Other authors:James Ward Kirk (Editor), William Cook (Cover Design), A. B. Stephens (Contributor), Timothy Frazier (Contributor), Paula D. Ashe (Contributor)15 more, David Frazier (Contributor), Matthew Wilson (Contributor), Scott Frederick Hargrave (Contributor), Christopher Hivner (Contributor), Adam Moore (Contributor), Clint Smith (Contributor), Chantal Noordeloos (Contributor), Ron Koppleberger (Contributor), Paul DeThroe (Contributor), Ken Goldman (Contributor), David James Keaton (Contributor), Murphy Edwards (Contributor), Thomas Malafarina (Contributor), David S. Pointer (Contributor), Nathan J.D.L. Rowark (Contributor)
Info:James Ward Kirk Publishing (2013), Paperback, 274 pages

Hell by James Ward Kirk

Recently added bymeznir, tipmyhat, ocgreg34

A few days ago I received my review copy for the Hell anthology. Previously a Static Movement anthology, it now has transferred to James Ward Kirk Fiction. The stories promised originally seem to be all there, but the cover has changed and now sports artwork by William Cook, a New Zealand artist. Quite an improvement, in my opinion.

I’m not much for poetry, so I just leafed through that. The flash fiction was ok, but did not leave a big impression.

The average level of short stories is reasonable to good. Some may end weak, some may be thin on plot, some may work around small ideas and some may not appeal to a wider audience. That’s pretty common when you read an anthology around a single theme that is filled by an international cast of authors.

There’s no accounting for taste, of course, but my personal gems, in order, are: ‘Because you watched’, by Paula D. Ashe, ‘Only Forgotten’ by Chantal Noordeloos, ‘Justine’ by A.B.Stephens, ‘Tiffany’s Model Affair’ also by Chantal Noordeloos, ‘What happens in Hell, stays in Hell’ by Clint Smith and finally ‘Rebellious’ by Timothy Frazier.

These gems lift the overall score for this book from a three star average to a four star average. In all, I would say it’s been a worthwhile read.
  meznir | Jan 8, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,253,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible