Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 1

by Gene Luen Yang, Gurihiru (Illustrator)

"What hapened to Fire Lord Zuko's mother? Finding a clue at last, Zuko enlists the aid of Team Avatar--and the most unlikely ally of all--to help uncover the biggest secret of his life"--p. [4] of cover, Part 1.

More of a 2.5. So-so beginning to a larger arc. The artwork was good and the writing too, but Azula remained pretty one dimensional throughout and some of the transitions between present and past weren't always clear. But I'll keep reading, mainly to see if how the plot twist ending is resolved in a way that will ultimately make sense and not screw with Korra's canon. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
A better start than "The Promise" with better characterization and a more focused plot. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
again, with the dramatic cliffhangers! ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
I really don't need to be obsessing about this on top of everything else I'm obsessing about!

Zuko, my love!!! ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Well, the art in this is amazing. I love the various and sundry character interactions, and the fact that we're finally going to get questions answered (in theory, at least) is definitely appealing. I definitely want to know what happens next, but I am...concerned with the apparent turn the story is taking based on the ending of this first volume. I'm hoping the obviously telegraphed twist is actually a misdirection to set up for something else, since if they play this particular twist straight I think the story as a whole is weakened.

I'm looking forward to July where we will hopefully get more answers. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |

Gene Luen Yangprimary authorall editionscalculated
GurihiruIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
DiMartino, Michael DanteCreatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Konietzko, BryanCreatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,469,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible