Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1) by Heather…

Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)

by Heather Hildenbrand

Everyone is exactly like me. There is no one like me.

This is the idea that Ven contemplates constantly. Created in Twig City, she has lived her short life as an Imitation learning how to mimic her Authentic, Raven Rogen, the real human she has been created to duplicate should she ever be needed. After four years of waiting it seems like she will not be called for duty. That is right until the moment that Raven is attacked. Suddenly Ven finds herself thrust into the real world to be used as bait for the people that tried to harm Raven. As Ven starts to dig deeper into Raven's life, she finds things are not as they seem and begins to question everything she's been told.

Imitation is the first in The Imitation Series by Heather Hildebrand. The premise reminds me somewhat of the movie The Island. Wealthy members of society pay to have exact clones made of themselves to do with as they wish. It could be anything from attending boring meetings while their Authentic takes a vacation in Tahiti or for organ harvesting. We're given a short introduction to what life is like in Twig City, the place where Imitations are created and trained, before Ven is literally thrust into action. It's an odd mix. Ven has had her whole life to prepare for this but ends up like a fish out of water once it comes time to actually live up to her purpose in life. It's also a little bit of a coming of age story. Twig City is separated by gender and the two don't mingle. Which makes things quite natural for the obligatory YA romance to happen with a young man Ven barely knows.

The story has a nice bit of mystery to it. Why was Raven attacked? What exactly is going on in Twig City? Answers are slowly revealed throughout the book and also help to flesh out Ven's character and is what gives her a purpose besides what she was created for. And then the story ends abruptly on a small cliff hanger. ( )
  Narilka | Mar 25, 2016 |
I was very intrigued by this book! The whole idea of there being someone out there, who was grown through a test tube for the sole purpose of either replacing their "authentic" when needed, or being harvested for their organs, was scary I'll admit. For part of the time I was reminded of the movie, The Island, with Ewan MacGregor and Scarlett Johansson.

Ven was a very sympathetic character. When we first meet her, she is in Twig City (where the imitations live). When she gets a letter from Marla, she is terrified, for they all know that when they get the letter, they are never going to be seen again in Twig City. I could feel, at times, how terrified she was trying to figure out what she was needed for, and then trying to keep up the charade both in public and in private; if she doesn't, her creator might pull the kill switch.

Another character I found interesting was her body guard, Linc Crawford. He has only known Raven Rogen a few months, but he becomes suspicious of her odd behavior. Once he learns that Raven is actually Raven, a romance starts to develop between the two of them. What surprised me, I suppose, is how quickly they feel in love.
Once I got into the book, it was hard to put down. It was a fast-paced story that was perfect to get me out of the reading slump I found myself in this past week. I look forward to picking up the sequel! ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |
Bubby: We have read and reviewed a book (Dirty Blood) by Heather Hildenbrand before - way back in 2012 it was - and while I enjoyed that series, Imitation was a whole ‘nother level of good. I was angry through the whole book at the hubris of the people who created Twig City and the imitation program. The very thought of it still makes my blood boil!
Sissy: I liked the fact that in reading this book you have to think deeply about what constitutes humanity, and of course you are cheering on the clones and the underdogs while reading. But let’s talk about Linc for a moment. Um-hmm. He seems like a fine hunk of burning heroism. Why does he fall for Ven (and vice versa) so fast? Dunno, but I like him. Back to Raven, though--I would like to meet her in book two, and wouldn’t it be great if she has some redeeming qualities and wants to be allies with Ven? That would be a fine story arc, in my opinion,note to Ms Hildebrand. (Read full review at www.bubblebath-books.com). ( )
  bubblebathbooks | Oct 17, 2014 |
Goodreads Synopsis: Everyone is exactly like me. There is no one like me.

Ven wrestles with these contradicting truths every day. A clone of wealthy eighteen-year-old Raven Rogen, Ven knows everything about the girl she was created to serve: the clothes she wears, the boys she loves, the friends she loves to hate. Yet she’s never met the Authentic Raven face-to-face.

Imitations like Ven only get to leave the lab when they’re needed—to replace a dead Authentic, donate an organ, or complete a specific mission. And Raven has never needed Ven . . . until now.

When there is an attack on Raven’s life, Ven is thrust into the real world, posing as Raven to draw out the people who tried to harm her. But as Ven dives deeper into Raven’s world, she begins to question everything she was ever told. She exists for Raven, but is she prepared to sacrifice herself for a girl she’s never met?

My Review: I requested this book from netgalley, because the topic of clones really interested me. I thought this would be a good book to read, and it sounded interesting. I don't really love the cover, however. This book is about a girl named Ven, cloned from Raven Rogen, a girl who's terrifyingly powerful for her age, and comes from a wealthy family. Though she's been watching Raven through videos for her whole 5 year old life, (she was created as a teenager five years ago) she's never actually met her original. She has built a life around living in this (I'm guessing) underground facility, making friends, working out, learning about Raven. And then the day comes when she gets a note from a superior that no one ever comes back from meeting. She's sent out into the field, with no experience preciously outside of what she knows, and immediately has orders to start becoming Raven Rogen. That seemed really hard for her. She's bullied by everyone she comes in contact to, who knows her secret. She's not the real Raven. She meets the originals of the people she knew in "Twig City", and though she doesn't really know what's going on, she tries her hardest. I really liked this book. It took a while for me to get through it, but I finished it, and the more I read the more I liked. Some parts really grossed me out, like Daniels breath... Ugh. Some parts I didn't really like, how she had to learn about all these people, but she never actually met most of them. It was a good read, however, and I definitely think you should check it out if you're looking for something fresh to read, or if you like the idea of clones in a book. Thanks for reading.

(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | Oct 13, 2014 |
For a BMW 800 GS . . . and its rider.
Everyone is exactly like me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,831,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible