Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons and The People Who Play…

by David M. Ewalt

Even if you've never played Dungeons & Dragons, you probably know someone who has: the game has had a profound influence on our culture. Released in 1974--decades before the Internet and social media--Dungeons & Dragons inspired one of the original nerd subcultures, and is still revered by millions around the world. Now the authoritative history of the game is revealed by an award-winning journalist and lifelong D&D player. David Ewalt recounts the development of Dungeons & Dragons from the game's roots on the battlefields of ancient Europe, through the hysteria that linked it to satanic rituals and teen suicides, to its apotheosis as father of the modern video-game industry. As he chronicles the game's surprising origins (a history largely unknown even to hardcore players) and examines D&D's impact, Ewalt interweaves subculture analysis with his own gaming experiences to shed light on America's most popular (and widely misunderstood) form of collaborative entertainment.--From publisher description.… (more)

I enjoyed a good bit of it, especially the history of TSR, but somehow was expecting a bit more still.
As the author said up front, maybe I failed my gather information check ;-) ( )
  cloidl | May 20, 2022 |
A nice history of roleplaying games and Dungeons & Dragons in particular, interwoven with the author's own experiences getting into the hobby and working through a campaign. Not comprehensive, and sometimes the author strives too hard to fit events into a narrative, but good for both people curious about RPGs and for seasoned gamers looking for more detail. As a gamer himself, the author treats the hobby with respect, not contempt. ( )
  dhmontgomery | Dec 13, 2020 |
Fun history of Dungeons & Dragons. Reminded me of all the fun I had back then wargaming and role playing. ( )
  ichadwick | Dec 7, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book. It's definitely something you have to take as it is though. There were a few moments where I mentally went "wait a minute, you're downplaying all the other companies who made RPGs", until I basically remembered that the focus of the book is on Dungeons & Dragons. I'm still definitely glad I read it. ( )
  Count_Zero | Jul 7, 2020 |
Really great book. Total enjoyment.

This isn't a totally comprehensive history of role playing games -- it is more of a personal journey with history of RPGs and D&D intertwined. Well written. Given the recent article about how Gary Gygax lost control of TSR, this book gives some additional information that seems more even-handed. ( )
  bibliosk8er | Aug 16, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,267,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible